Why is metal dead?

clifchamb

or is it? there is so much talk about it here and yet the demographics say otherwise.

of course MTV seems to dictate what kids today like...
clif

simple... how many people do u know that can shred? metal was for the elite back then.... then cobain came and made it okay for anyone to play guitar that didn't have technical profeciency. So natrually more people started playing guitar and in bands. After all who do u know that CAN'T play smells like teen spirit? He made it accepted to not be good to play in a band anymore. And then comes rap. So you do the math now...

Metal's not dead. Metal is underground. What you see on tv or hear on radio is never metal. You have to search for good music, it doesn't come to you. don't you dare calling mallcore bands metal or "nu-metal". The only thing "nu-metal" has to do with metal its the stupid name "nu-metal" grrrrrrrr

the only thing nu metal has to do with is nu metal? hahahahah really.... interesting.... you do know that nu metal is what u hear on the radio though.... band like slipknot, korn, limp bizkit (to an extent) and godsmack STARTED nu metal.... buttttt agreeing with you, the good nu metal is underground

Why is metal dead???? :confused:
A genre will live as long as it has followers/listeners.
This BBS has quite a lot of metal fans (I myself am one, but I'm more into the older stuff... from classic rock to trash metal. No black metal though. I hate those 'snare blasts'...fucks up all the melody. Anyway, amongst others, we have Lopp, Gidge, Chris Toindreau, BeaverBiscuit, Cyrokk, Meshuggah, Kevsmusic and many others. They all like metal.
I still play metal (the good stuff from the 80's ofcourse.)
I'll take a band like Dokken or Ratt over Mudvayne/Korn/Limp Pussyspit ANY FUCKIN' DAY!
And although I admire Kurt Cobain to be the voice of a generation and to help create a new music genre, I hate the way people overrate him! THE DUDE CAN'T PLAY A DECENT TUNE ON A GUITAR...LET ALONE IN TUNE.
I hate the way that the grunge and lo-fi movement made it 'cool' to play sucky. Hell, what happened to the days when Yngwie and MacAlpine were the gods? In those days, you'd get an instrument and WORK on that instrument. That makes you a musician. Not carrying a guitar, and let your hand ring the strings. No, that will merely make you a fuck up who tries to play guitar.

ANyway, it's my opinion, but I know many who share this vision. It's time to be musicians again, and not nu-suxians. So what if the dudes from Crazy Town are really muscled and have a lot of tattoo's.... George Lynch will kick their asses by playing only 2 notes. :p

Its dead because its all technique and no soul.
Most nonmusicians can not appreciate technique but they relate to soul.

WHAT?!?!?!

metal has no soul? bullshit.... if your some kind of jazz head u don't have a right to comment on metal... ALL music has soul may it be metal, grunge, or even rap.

Metal is dead because of the nazi view that they are somehow better than all others. Who says who is better. Who says Korn is not Metal. Not you and not me.......Now get back to the damn guitar talk and stop wishing you were half as tallented as Crazy Town. (yes...I think that song was smooooth. Otherwise it would not have sold a million records, and no, MTV does not dictate shit, they simply take the best of the best. Puddle of Mudd is huge because the guy can write a hell of a song. As for the metal nazi thing.....sorry.......overboard on that one......Nu Metal, its only evolution.)

Side note

Metallica grew from one hell of a metal band to being a musical genius.

Re: WHAT?!?!?!

darknailblue said:
metal has no soul? bullshit.... if your some kind of jazz head u don't have a right to comment on metal... ALL music has soul may it be metal, grunge, or even rap.

And if you are somekind of metal head you don't have a right to comment on cobain..........

i realize that metal guitarists are technically brilliant, but that style of guitar is boring to me. its like they are trying to see who can't fit the most notes in a bar of music...thats why alot of people say there is no soul in metal. myself, i think string benders like albert king and SRV had alot more soul to there playing than shreaders. anyone can learn scales and neck tapping but not everyone can bend strings and make a guitar sing the blues. there is no way to get that style down right if you don't have a feel for it...not really a "chart" or tab to go by.

its all ear and feel.

I would have to agree with Dragonworks although I might re-phrase it.

Metal seemed to go into a contest of shredfest and forgot about quality songwriting. The solo was no longer an embelishment to the song but rather the song was merely written for an excuse to solo.

As Dragonworks said this will never appeal to the masses (but then again they think Brittany Spears is a good singer and most of the masses think she writes her own songs). :rolleyes:

This (song is excuse for solo) should not really appeal to true musicians either but it does appeal to certian instrumentalists.

Being a guitarist, bassist or drummer does not make you a musician in my book...it only makes you a guitarists, bassists or drummer. How you use your instrument to create and interact with others in a skillfull (and non self centered way) is what makes you a musician.

A musician sees the big picture of song structure, dynamics and balance. They know when not to play and don't.

My tastes in high school went from Metal and Pop into college and a Classical phase (one semster of nothing but) then into an Alternative (when it was truly Alternative early and mid 80's) then into Jazz, Blues and "World Music" fusions.

Today I appreciate good music in any gene but the Metal I hear today is an instant headache maker. Rap and music should never be used in the same sentence although I liked Grand Master Flash and The Furious Five and RUN DMC as they were truely original and fresh for their time.

If Metal is your passion then its not "dead" for you or the rest of its underground fans.....if you want to "bring it back" then please focus on musicianship and songwriting not shredding.

Just my 2 cents and a little spare change.

I'm seeing lots of stupid posts lately..

Metal is not Dead!

All the dumb asses who say metal is dead, or it has no soul, are idiots.. plain and simple..

yes dragonworks, your 'metal has no soul' comment really showed your stupidity..

and Locus Larsen, your comment 'if your some kind of metal head, you don't have a right to comment on cobain' Made me think of a word I haven't thought of in a long time.. Your a poser!

lots and lots of dumbasses on the board these days..

Metal doesn't always mean shredding..

Do any of you homos actually record?

Attachments

• gaythread-vi.gif
    gaythread-vi.gif
    24.6 KB · Views: 438
hey scooter nice post.... i agree with you in the sense that it became a shred fest, but never dead and never without soul... and locus shut up dude... how could u even compare crazy town to any shredder... they wrote THAT and all of theyre other songs to a standard pop verse choruse verse chorus bridge structure... and as far as mtv goes they ABSOLUTELY DO NOT play the best of todays music they play what sells... and make the songs that they play sell... u need to realize that the music u hear on the raido is controlled by white collared men and women that want their pocket books full, and almost all of them put that as a priority over their artist. Sad but true.... I know too many brilliant musicians whose lives have turned to shit because of the blood sweat and tears they put into their music that no know seems to appreciate. any musician will agree with me that the best of the best DO NOT get radio play. and why u might ask? because theyre are too many people like you that don't know shit about music that glorify most of the nonsense they hear on the radio and see on MTV.

Metal is not dead and it never will be. Metal has been with us since the late 60's and celebrates a resurgence every few years. To me the classic metal years are 1980-1985. But how do you define what is metal?? To me, hair bands arent metal, Bon Jovi is not metal, rap rock is not metal, shredders arent metal, mu-metal is just nu, not metal...
You want metal...think: Sabbath, Ozzy, Priest, Maiden, Saxon, Accept, Lizzy, Kiss, Manowar, Metallica, Slayer, Scorpions...
Now THATS metal...Leather, harmony guitars, powercords, big drums, pounding bass, spikes...MARSHALLS!!!

Maybe I didn't overstate that nazi point....................

As for my cobain comment........I was pointing out a discrepency in someone elses previous comment.......

Music is music.......When you analize it you have FUCKED it up!

Back