Why the Gibson SG is the best guitar ever....

minusme

It's light...
It has incredible tone...
It looks cool...
It has a great price!!!!

I've tried playing the les paul custom and studio, but they are SO heavy. The SG feels great, even after 2 hours of play! What's your favorite axe?

-----------------------------------------------------
Hear my stuff at: The Unsigned Band Web

I vouch for the Fender American Std. Tele. It's quite the workhorse. Well...that and the strat for it's tone. Also like the Rick 360's for hollowbody sound.

Angus agrees with you minus. :)

I like all guitars. Well, most guitars. Strats, Les Pauls, SG's, some Prs, Teles, Ricks, Martins, Taylors, Guild Jumbos, Gibson Jumbos, Musicman basses.

Guitars are like women, there are just so many good ones and I aint got the time to play with them all!!

H2H

SG Because I have one. Any guitar I have rocks because it means I have a guitar.

I'm really a Strat guy, though. When I'm old I'll either play a Chet Atkins or a tele.

I HATE SG's. They feel like you're playing a board with some strings attached; not a full, beautiful instrament. The tone is bland and dull. I happen to think they're ugly and cringe when I see bands playing them (though this is more due to the fact that I just hate them). And most of all, if we're talking Gibson, the price is most definately not great. For $1,149.99 you can get so many other great, awesome guitars that are actually priced that high for their quality, not just because Gibson feels like jacking up the price. Ric's, Gretch's, Carvins, Fenders, tons of great guitars are in this price range, and why anybody would blow all that money on some bland, boring hunk of wood is beyond me.

I prefer guitars that give a full, rich sound, and you can feel the wood and the craftmanship add to the tone. Les Pauls (which, beyond sounding bad, are bulky as hell) and SG's just have boring, straight tone that takes all the fun out of playing. I love hollow bodies, they give a heavy, full, vibrant tone that is unmatched, especially Gretch's. Strats give a great jazz sound, and the feel while playing with them (especially the maple necks, mmmm) is amazing. My Charvelle/Jackson PS-4 is a wonderful Charvelle style sound, because unlike similar Ibanez's, it gives a smoother, jazzy tone that I just love. Don't even get my started on my Ric; it's so beautiful I don't even wanna play it, just hang it on my wall in a glass case. The awesome rock sound is just amazing, and cuts through like no other. Solos burn like mad, and the thing just plays so awesome, I love it love it love it! There are just so many great guitars out there, I wish people would expand their horizons a little instead of just settling on the standard les pauls or SG's, bleh.

In my years of guitar collecting and being a session musician and writing/producing I have played nearly every kind of guitar made.

I still like SG's :D

H2H

I'm an SG man myself. For rock they just cant be beat. I love the lightness, the raw tone of the lead humbucker, the fast neck. It's like playing a ferrari after having used a custom shop 68' strat for years. An SG standard through my 25th anniversary Plexi 100 watt on about 4 is a beautiful thing...

I like SG's...
My first axe (1979) was an SG.... I sold it to buy an Ibanez LP Clone...

I was young and foolish... I have neither one today, but 9 others...

I would do anything to go back in time, and keep all the cool shit I sold/traded....

This thread makes me sad.... :( :(

:D

I had a '98 Standard SG. Would not stay in tune, even after replacing the stock machine heads with Grovers. No amount of expert intonation helped. I sold it. I have an '80 Ibanez Studio, and while not as hot as the SG, gives me perfectly acceptable humbucking sound. Now, some of the early 60's SGs I've played: I would agree that they were some of the best guitars I've played. I, too, don't like LPs for recording either, because they keep slipping off my leg, as well as being heavy.

Tend to do my noodling around on a Strat, though.

:cool:

My first axe, 1973, was a SG Standard. Why, Tony Iommi played an SG... the G-string always seemed to be out of tune... I sold it by '76.... maybe it was just my inexperience.

My next SG was a Custom , '74, I still have it and play it some... although I don't care for the low frets.

My Sweetheart though is a Kramer Striker... had it for about 15 years and it's only gotten better

-keith-

Imaduck said:
Don't even get my started on my Ric; it's so beautiful I don't even wanna play it, just hang it on my wall in a glass case.

Which Ric ya got?

I think we decided that the average age here was 62 systmovadown - we're all fabulous guitarists though, with the advantage over Jimi Hendrix that when we play our guitars with our teeth we can take 'em out first.

Armistice said:
I think we decided that the average age here was 62 systmovadown - we're all fabulous guitarists though, with the advantage over Jimi Hendrix that when we play our guitars with our teeth we can take 'em out first.

Clever...very clever :D I do appreciate a good, clever remark.

I've actually never played an SG (ashamed). Not sure how that happened. I have a Les Paul. I like how heavy it is. I love Teles too though.

I just sold an SG for $300 bucks....I didn't like it.

Im a strat guy...I dunno what makes me think I will like a "non-fender strat" guitar. If it ain't broke (the strat), don't fix it (all other guitars).

My favorite guitar is the last one I finished. Of course, that will probably change the when I finish the next one.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back