Why didn't any of you warn me about LINE 6????

gibson59neck

Villiage Idiot Keeper
So, after blowing up two Spider head because noone told me how to connect them, I now have that solved and the stupid Express pedal that controls the head just got sent out for repair because it shit the bed after about 10 hours of use. Seriously - if you could have just said they suck and sent me to buy a real amp, like a tube amp, for example, then I would never have had to suffer through this. Thanks a whole freaking lot, guys.

( this is a chance for all those that told me my new Spider III half stack was a POS to gloat and say "told you so, you jackass!" So, go ahead...It's not my fault I can't afford a better one.... :(

You really cant hook up the express pedal wrong, its cat5 cable, only one way to go in.

I used to hate having to sell Line6 to people. But kids would come in my store and love all the metal effects and beg their parents for them.

So wait, you didn't know how to hook up a Spider and you think you would have done better with a tube head? They don't connect to the cab any differently, and I'm sure Line 6 is much more willing to replace a head fried due to a lack of research than a tube head manufacturer would be.

i was in San Diego a few summers ago and i saw a Stones coverband (The Unauthorized Rolling Stones, i think they were called), and the guitarist (the "Keith guy") was playing through a Line6 amp. I KNOW it wasn't the vetta, but i'm not sure what flavor it was.

anyway, it was the one that's in the Vox AC30 style cabinet, and he had ripped the Line6 logo off the front of it (so it looked "no name").

i thought his tone (in the context of that live bar band mix) was absolutely *fantastic*. i talked to him at length at setbreak and point-blank asked him what amp he was using. he kinda hung his head and said "it's a line6" very sheepishly. i told him "don't apologise, i think the sounds you're getting out of it are great" and he admitted that he'd spent a long time tweaking. he said he used to use a 4x10 bassman but it had recently died in the middle of a gig and that given their touring nature, he was reluctant to take tube amps on the road.

of course, the fact that he was a fantastic player playing vintage teles and les pauls didn't hurt either.

anyway, i'm no fan of the "typical line6 nonsense", but in the context of a live bar band mix, i *have* heard one of the non-vetta amps sound pretty great.

and for a while in 2002, John Bell (and John Keane when he sat in) from Widespread Panic was using a Vetta combo. It sounded pretty good from up front.....but not nearly as good as his previous Mesa Triple Rec.

cheers,
wade

mrface2112 said:
i was in San Diego a few summers ago and i saw a Stones coverband (The Unauthorized Rolling Stones, i think they were called), and the guitarist (the "Keith guy") was playing through a Line6 amp. I KNOW it wasn't the vetta, but i'm not sure what flavor it was.

anyway, it was the one that's in the Vox AC30 style cabinet, and he had ripped the Line6 logo off the front of it (so it looked "no name").

i thought his tone (in the context of that live bar band mix) was absolutely *fantastic*. i talked to him at length at setbreak and point-blank asked him what amp he was using. he kinda hung his head and said "it's a line6" very sheepishly. i told him "don't apologise, i think the sounds you're getting out of it are great" and he admitted that he'd spent a long time tweaking. he said he used to use a 4x10 bassman but it had recently died in the middle of a gig and that given their touring nature, he was reluctant to take tube amps on the road.

of course, the fact that he was a fantastic player playing vintage teles and les pauls didn't hurt either.

anyway, i'm no fan of the "typical line6 nonsense", but in the context of a live bar band mix, i *have* heard one of the non-vetta amps sound pretty great.

and for a while in 2002, John Bell (and John Keane when he sat in) from Widespread Panic was using a Vetta combo. It sounded pretty good from up front.....but not nearly as good as his previous Mesa Triple Rec.

cheers,
wade

Sounds like it was a Flextone II. Great sounding amps and reliable as all hell. Only Line 6 amp I've ever owned and for good reason. That's the last product they made in the US. After that, everything started being outsourced and quality control took a major dive.

timthetortoise said:
Sounds like it was a Flextone II.
that's the one! :D

timthetortoise said:
Great sounding amps and reliable as all hell.
that sounds about right--i mean, this guy had TONE. i was downright shocked when he said it was a line6 b/c i'd been blown away. i was expecting something "boutique" or at least homegrown.

cheers,
wade

mixsit said:
I'm not here to do that, but I am curious how'd you fry the first two?
My first half stack. Was hooked up wrong at the store. I followed suit, it cooked the head - these little bastards have to have both sides hooked up - the head will cook if you use one cable or just run the head and use headphones. That's what happened to me - I have always used combos, and since the thing sounded great in the store, I figured it was all good, ya know?? Oh hell.

amra said:
Are you sure you didn't have that express pedal or whatever, hooked up wrong?
heheh
Yes - it is a piece of doo doo and it has been sent out to be repaired and/or replaced. I am going to start selling my body parts for science so I can earn the giant tab of a tube headed half stack....

Farview said:
Didn't it come with a manual? How did you blow it up?
Line 6 has bad manuals - they write them with all sorts of wanna be funny language, but without saying much about it. It definitely doesn't say anything about hooking it up. You have to go on Line6.com and whine in thier forum until the techs there decide to help you - then they spend two weeks calling all the builders and designers asking how to solve the problem, because they themselves don't know. It is kinda f*'ed up.

timthetortoise said:
So wait, you didn't know how to hook up a Spider and you think you would have done better with a tube head? They don't connect to the cab any differently, and I'm sure Line 6 is much more willing to replace a head fried due to a lack of research than a tube head manufacturer would be.
Gimme some slack, dickweed - it's my FIRST TIME WITH A HEAD AND CAB! Go read my other responses for the real story... :cool:

gibson59neck said:
Gimme some slack, dickweed - it's my FIRST TIME WITH A HEAD AND CAB! Go read my other responses for the real story... :cool:

He's right though, if you can't manage to hook up a solid state head to a cab without blowing it then you probably shouldn't bother with tubes. You can kill a tube head pretty easily.

Back