whitch guitar should I buy?

I don't believe either of those are made in US. The black Squier Affinity is made in Asia, and the partscaster is Mexico - looks like.

You can get a new Fender Squier Strat straight from Fender's website for $220-$230. Look for their Squier Affinity Series Strat.

I know it's not USA but it might be close enough for your needs right now.

Last edited:
An American Strat is $1000+ when brand new. You ain't going to get one for $200.

BUT!!! Why focus on an american strat. Just get one you can afford and enjoy it. With Squier, you definitely want to play it before you buy it. The quality is all over the place. You can get a really good one, or you can get a really bad one.

Once, I had a decent amount of money to spend on a new bass and I decided to not buy on line and go to a music shop. I had a plan. Don't look at the price tag and start at the left and go right. I explained what I wanted to do to the shop and they left me alone. Some I picked up and never even plugged in, they felt wrong. Others got rejected just twangy a string plugged in. Others I got to play for a bit before moving on. The short list selection was pretty small. Two became possibilities and I played these more and chose the one I liked best out of maybe 25? Then I looked at the price at it was not expensive, just a middle price. Can't even remember what I paid, but I didn't at that time know Peavy even made basses! It's a nice red wood grain International, and it's the nicest bass I have. For the band I have a Fender American Standard Jazz, and by comparison it's heavier, harder to play has less variation on tone. I have Les Paul's, a PRS and some Fenders but the nicest to play is a Line 6 bought for the gadgets. If you have to buy on line, it will be pure luck. Expensive American might be a worse instrument to play cheap Mexico. Instruments are individual and no two are the same. If you have to buy online resign yourself to buyingbfrom somebody who accepts returns. Thomann in europe do well because they encourage returns, which of course most people don't do. The trouble is you get disillusioned quickly. It's probably better to make a long journey and add the hotel cost to the travel and actually touch the damn things, but one of my Fender guitars is a Chinese counterfeit, and I 'think' it's the Strat, not the Tele, but I really can't be arsed to go back through my receipts from around five years ago to check because they both play nicely! I firmly believe location and price do NOT count for much nowadays. The Friday afternoon Gibsons and Fenders still exist, and somebody buys them not realising how awful they probably are.

Back