Whats your guitar/amp setup?

guitar kid

This isn't really a burning question I need answered or anything, just a discussion I guess. What is your guys guitar and amp setup? I believe I have the absolute best setup for the $$$. A used '87 Les Paul ($900) and an early 70's Fender Vibroloux ($600). If anyone else thinks they can put together a better setup than that for $1,500, I would love to hear it.

Guitars:
Godin LGX as my main axe (this guitar kicks major ass, sounds like heaven and looks like it cost more than a brand new car, it's actually quite affordable).
Yamaha RGX 621D as my "dropped-d tuned" axe (we've been through so much together, I can't let her go even though she sounds worse than a Squier Strat)
Yamaha Pacifica 120S as my backup guitar (sucks a lot, but it's so affordable, I finally have a guitar I can wreck on stage if I feel like it :))

Amps:
Flextone XL, I'm not all that satisfied with this amp, it's great for some blues and rock sound, but for the heavy stuff, no matter how I set the knobs on the rectified model, I get whether mud or harshness, the JCM800 model just doesn't cut it and I don't like the sound of the Soldano model. Anyway, at least I can go from a Mesa to a Marshall type of sound during a show, then a nice delayed lead sound and a compressed clean sound without using pedals, a processor or 3 amps.

Peavey Supreme 160w head, I bought this when I was like 14 years old, for 500 bucks, you can't get a head that gives you a heavier sound. You can crack the walls of your basement with this thing! I run it to a Peavey 412M cab (off which I removed the Peavey sign to give it more value :)). You can think what you want about Peavey cabs, they actually sound quite good, I have the old one, the one that looks like a 5150 cab. Those cab (just like the 5150) use Peavey's Sheffield speakers instead of Celestion like 90% of the other makes. It has the advantage of giving it a distinct sound. The cab is very big also, bigger than a Marshall, it has a LOT of bottom end. I basically run the effect send of my Flextone to the Peavey effect return (can't use the direct out of the Flextone, it would mute the Flextone speakers and activate the cab emulation) and use it as a slave amp, which gives me a 260W Flextone with 6 12" speakers :o).

In the future, I want to get wheter a JCM2000 TSL head or a real Dual Rectifer and add a second cab (Marshall or Mesa Boogie) and keep the Flextone for clean sounds with effects and A/B switch the amps.

A G & L F100 which I bought for $425 w/case new in 1980 (signed by Leo Fender himself).... and a POD by Line6, which can mimic your amp and about 20 other great vintage amps.... flawlessly. That cost $300.
Total cost: $725
I also have a Peavey 212 Special, but it doesn't get as much attention these days.

At the moment I have a 90 something fender plus strat, that was given to me from a dear old freind, one of my sisters gave me a peavey classic 50 4/10 five yrs ago, which I traded for a Laney VC50 "tube" from a guy that played country music...said that he just couldnt see all them damm knobs on stage :)I solved that problem for him :D with pleasure :D anyway total cost $000.00, but the down side is I'm all grown up now and I've learned the hard way there is a price to pay for each & everything :(

Gee, I could have sworn I saw my Peavey 212 Special listed in my post.... must be a mirage. :) That cost $475.00
Total for amp and guitar: $900.00
But, the POD isn't "just a box", it can be used with my amp or P.A. and still duplicate all the classic amps with perfect tones.
Saying the POD is "just a box" is like saying that a Ferrari is "just a car".

**** Budget Entry ****
Started with '62 Reissue of the Gibson SG.
$250 and an Acoustic Model 127 2x12" amp used for $175. Rebuilt the amp for $50 and speakers for another $300, based on a pair of 20 year old Altec 12" speakers that were $150
to begin with. Total: $925.
The POD has just about retired that amp.
I like the sound of the amp outdoors, but I could live without the hernia moving it.

Ok, lemme sort of restate the question. What would your dream guitar and amp setup be for $1,500? And if I see the word POD written in any of the following responses, there will be hell to pay :)

In 1988, bought a refinished '64 Strat and a Silverface Pro Reverb for $650 - sold the Pro Reverb for $225, and about three weeks later bought a mint 1966 Blackface Vibrolux Reverb for $300 - so $725 for a '64 Strat and a blackface Vibrolux Reverb.

That leaves $775 for beer and chicken wings.

:-)

foo

Dream setup for 1500$??? My guitar (LGX) doesn't cost far from that and it doesn't include an amp! 1500$ can't even buy the amp I'd like to have (dual rectifer head with rectifier serie cab)

Hey DropD, a les paul std new is $3,200, but I don't really think anyone here is dumb enough to buy a new one. At a guitar show, you can pick up good used les paul stds for $900 to $1050 for a really clean one. SG stds are bought and sold used for $400 to $500 and they retail for $1900. Surely something as unpopular as an LG-X can be had used for a very reasonable price. I don't know squat about Mesa/Boogie amps, so I won't say anything there.

Hehehe, but the problem is that, for me a guitar is kinda like a women: it's better if you're the first one to touch it :o)

guitar- Fender 69 reissue thinline tele $550
Washburn N-2 with a G$L Wilkinson tremelo (death to Floyd rose!!) (if i ever get it back out of the repair shop) $$??

effects- (in order) Dunlop Rotovibe, Dunlop Cry baby. MXR Blue box, MXR phase 90, Ernieball volume pedal, Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man (I love this thing) roughly $700 on stomp boxes!

Amp- Mesa/Boogie DC-3 combo and a homemade (not by me) extention cab loaded with a 120W EV 12". I've had two Mesa's before this one. an old Mark II head and 4x12 cabinet (sweet rig- got tired of it taking up so much room) used for $800, sold that for $500 and bought a Tremoverb 2x12 used for $600 more. That was way to loud and too heavy sold that for $1000 and got the Dc-3 new and extention cab used for $950 so add and subtract that all up and I got a $1000 amp/cabinet combo for $850- you can't lose when you buy mesa- you can sell it for almost what you paid for it if you got a good deal to begin with and youre friendly with sales people :D

So I guess all in all i'v got about $2500 invested in all that stuff- that's spread out over about seven years... geeze that seems like a lot! on top of that ive got four acoustics... no... don't make me think about money right now!!!

I like your style kid, but, it's all a question of style. That is , what one considers a hot setup depends on their style. I'm a Les Paul man myself (used for $850.00) but I'm sure a good surf or country player could wail on a Fender bullet and a Fender champ. I mean , tone starts in THE FINGERS MAN , and it's not the notes, but HOW YOU PLAY THEM! You are right about this, any real guitarist or pro , or somebody that knows what they are doing, are going to use a REAL AMP.I'm sooooooooooooo F***in SICK of hearing about POD's and direct guitar recording on this bbs I could puke! I mean really, are any of you POD users even doing anything with your music? Can any of you POD or "amp simulator" users name ONE good well known album/song that's been recorded using something so lame? (and I'm not talking the Rockman, that's so 80's solid state sounding)I think not......Well , I shouldn't be so harsh, I mean if you got neighbors and such, then it's good to have something that you can make your music playing headphones. I'm just talking about making albums, your not going to use those POD toys if your a real artist......

I am going to be releasing a CD within the next 2 months (10 original songs) in which every single electric guitar track was recorded with the POD. And believe me, that's a LOT of tracks.
It was a helluva lot more convenient than micing my amp, especially since I live about 2 miles away from a major metropolitain airport and jet-engine noise is killer over here.
Secondly, it was thousands of dollars cheaper than buying twenty different classic amplifiers, and sounds just as good.
Lastly... you are trashing a product that you don't even own, and probably haven't ever tried.
If you bought a POD and had a bad experience with it's reliability or found that it didn't do what they claimed it could, then you could trash it all you want. But that's not the case.
Hence, the word "prejudice" comes to mind. You are pre-judging something you don't have any experience with.
I, too, was a bit skeptical at first about the POD's claims. But, rather than write it off as a gimmick, I actually put the product to the test. I was amazed, to say the least.
I'm not saying that your point about professional musicians and engineers not using the POD isn't a valid point. But since they have millions of dollars worth of equipment at thier disposal, why should they use it?
Varying opinions are very welcomed here, but "educated" opinions are more respected.

You tell em Buckaroo. How could we name a well known album or song when the POD is still relatively new. And who the hell is going to know anyway. An artist is an artist whether they use an amp or a POD. How many amp sounds can you get with your one amp, purple? We get them all for a fraction of the cost of actually buying them all. We aren't big pro rock stars like you, purple. This is a home recording website, not a pro recording website. If you're so fucking sick of reading about the pathetic equipment we use, what the fuck are you doing here? Get your lame fucking rock star ass out of here, because we aren't interested in your uneducated hostility. Buck62, I'll be looking forward to hearing your CD, and I'm sure it will sound like you used real amps.

[This message has been edited by monty (edited 03-13-2000).]

Back