Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats your guitar/amp setup?

Thanks

Cool

Sign in to disable this ad
    This isn't really a burning question I need answered or anything, just a discussion I guess. What is your guys guitar and amp setup? I believe I have the absolute best setup for the $$$. A used '87 Les Paul ($900) and an early 70's Fender Vibroloux ($600). If anyone else thinks they can put together a better setup than that for $1,500, I would love to hear it.

Thanks

Wink

Guitars:
    Godin LGX as my main axe (this guitar kicks major ass, sounds like heaven and looks like it cost more than a brand new car, it's actually quite affordable).
    Yamaha RGX 621D as my "dropped-d tuned" axe (we've been through so much together, I can't let her go even though she sounds worse than a Squier Strat)
    Yamaha Pacifica 120S as my backup guitar (sucks a lot, but it's so affordable, I finally have a guitar I can wreck on stage if I feel like it )

Amps:
    Flextone XL, I'm not all that satisfied with this amp, it's great for some blues and rock sound, but for the heavy stuff, no matter how I set the knobs on the rectified model, I get whether mud or harshness, the JCM800 model just doesn't cut it and I don't like the sound of the Soldano model. Anyway, at least I can go from a Mesa to a Marshall type of sound during a show, then a nice delayed lead sound and a compressed clean sound without using pedals, a processor or 3 amps.

Peavey Supreme 160w head, I bought this when I was like 14 years old, for 500 bucks, you can't get a head that gives you a heavier sound. You can crack the walls of your basement with this thing! I run it to a Peavey 412M cab (off which I removed the Peavey sign to give it more value ). You can think what you want about Peavey cabs, they actually sound quite good, I have the old one, the one that looks like a 5150 cab. Those cab (just like the 5150) use Peavey's Sheffield speakers instead of Celestion like 90% of the other makes. It has the advantage of giving it a distinct sound. The cab is very big also, bigger than a Marshall, it has a LOT of bottom end. I basically run the effect send of my Flextone to the Peavey effect return (can't use the direct out of the Flextone, it would mute the Flextone speakers and activate the cab emulation) and use it as a slave amp, which gives me a 260W Flextone with 6 12" speakers ).

In the future, I want to get wheter a JCM2000 TSL head or a real Dual Rectifer and add a second cab (Marshall or Mesa Boogie) and keep the Flextone for clean sounds with effects and A/B switch the amps.

Thanks

Cool

A G & L F100 which I bought for $425 w/case new in 1980 (signed by Leo Fender himself).... and a POD by Line6, which can mimic your amp and about 20 other great vintage amps.... flawlessly. That cost $300.
    Total cost: $725
    I also have a Peavey 212 Special, but it doesn't get as much attention these days.

Thanks

Cool

At the moment I have a 90 something fender plus strat, that was given to me from a dear old freind, one of my sisters gave me a peavey classic 50 4/10 five yrs ago, which I traded for a Laney VC50 "tube" from a guy that played country music...said that he just couldnt see all them damm knobs on stage I solved that problem for him with pleasure anyway total cost $000.00, but the down side is I'm all grown up now and I've learned the hard way there is a price to pay for each & everything

Thanks

Wink

Buck, I'm talking about REAL amp setups, not just a box that simulates amps for recording.

Thanks

Unhappy

Gee, I could have sworn I saw my Peavey 212 Special listed in my post.... must be a mirage. That cost $475.00
    Total for amp and guitar: $900.00
    But, the POD isn't "just a box", it can be used with my amp or P.A. and still duplicate all the classic amps with perfect tones.
    Saying the POD is "just a box" is like saying that a Ferrari is "just a car".

Thanks

Cool

**** Budget Entry ****
    Started with '62 Reissue of the Gibson SG.
    $250 and an Acoustic Model 127 2x12" amp used for $175. Rebuilt the amp for $50 and speakers for another $300, based on a pair of 20 year old Altec 12" speakers that were $150
    to begin with. Total: $925.
    The POD has just about retired that amp.
    I like the sound of the amp outdoors, but I could live without the hernia moving it.

Thanks

Wink

Ok, lemme sort of restate the question. What would your dream guitar and amp setup be for $1,500? And if I see the word POD written in any of the following responses, there will be hell to pay

Thanks

Wink

POD rules!

Thanks

Cool

In 1988, bought a refinished '64 Strat and a Silverface Pro Reverb for $650 - sold the Pro Reverb for $225, and about three weeks later bought a mint 1966 Blackface Vibrolux Reverb for $300 - so $725 for a '64 Strat and a blackface Vibrolux Reverb.

That leaves $775 for beer and chicken wings.

:-)

foo

Thread Information