What's everyone working on at the moment?

JDOD

therecordingrebels.com
I've been pretty light on posting tones at the moment as I've been working on a lot of other stuff.

1. Mainly working on improving my singing which is shit as I'm currently adding vocals to a few of my tracks.
2. Re-tracking my version of We Are The Road Crew by Motorhead - I initially did a one verse short version of this when Phithy Animal died but I think I'll finish the whole thing now.
3. Spending a shit load of time working on my guitar playing - bands are parked at the moment - and I'm starting to get quite good at the guitar again - not sure how useful it will be but its really quite satisfying.
4. Ripping apart my old strat copy to to make a HSS strat with a JB in the bridge.

I probably should be working on a decent bass tone... but I think I'm struggling to be interested.

What's everyone else up to at the moment? Just wondering really.

1. Waiting for my son to come up with some more drum parts for our next original.

2. Working on adding female vocals and flute to my current original in the clinic.

3. Programming the JVM footswitch so I can be confident with it at the next gig (Sunday!)

3. Programming the JVM footswitch so I can be confident with it at the next gig (Sunday!)
That would be a cool one to post up. Would be nice to hear what tones you have at your feet without touching a knob on the amp.

Writing a lot of new songs in recent months and, for a change, have been finishing things. Hoping this creative streak will last.

That would be a cool one to post up. Would be nice to hear what tones you have at your feet without touching a knob on the amp.
I'll probably do that. I'm just setting it so the clean and crunch channels are about the same volume (for rhythm/chord playing) and that the switch is configured to step through the gain modes with repeated presses of the same switch. It was in preset mode when I bought it. Then I'm setting the OD1 and OD2 channels up as gain and level boost channels for lead playing. Then I'm working out how relatively loud the two master volumes need to be.

1. Working on writing a song in 3/4 titled "Ritualistic Feeding of Polar Bears by Penguins"

2. Working on learning the song "Splash" by Chon on guitar (really frustrating and will take months). Just found out my guitar doesn't even have enough frets for it :cursing:

3. Spending a shit load of time working on my guitar playing - bands are parked at the moment - and I'm starting to get quite good at the guitar again - not sure how useful it will be but its really quite satisfying.

I'm such a rubbish guitar player. I have no flash chops to speak of. I hated testing out my amp in front of the seller!

I'll probably do that. I'm just setting it so the clean and crunch channels are about the same volume (for rhythm/chord playing) and that the switch is configured to step through the gain modes with repeated presses of the same switch. It was in preset mode when I bought it. Then I'm setting the OD1 and OD2 channels up as gain and level boost channels for lead playing. Then I'm working out how relatively loud the two master volumes need to be.

I always find it a pain in the arse to balance volumes when using widely differing tones and gain levels. I always find that I have my clean down way quiet compared with my heavy tone.

I'm such a rubbish guitar player. I have no flash chops to speak of. I hated testing out my amp in front of the seller!

I think its just 'cos I've done a shit load of tracking of guitars recently and I'm getting pissed of with playing riffs that I already know over and over again. In the mood for doing something different.

---------- Update ----------

Just found out my guitar doesn't even have enough frets for it :cursing:
Extreme bending required.

I always find it a pain in the arse to balance volumes when using widely differing tones and gain levels. I always find that I have my clean down way quiet compared with my heavy tone.

I predict teething troubles at the gig, no matter how much preparation I make! I just hope it's not so bad that I have a Spinal Tap moment with it all. :D

Extreme bending required.

Yeah.. I'm not convinced that's gonna work in this particular case as that high note is held for a fraction of a second before the next one.

Maybe I should just get an Ibanez. They're so easily played. But then again they sound like crap.

I predict teething troubles at the gig, no matter how much preparation I make! I just hope it's not so bad that I have a Spinal Tap moment with it all. :D

It's not a problem with the JVM as each channel has it's own volume. They're pretty easy to balance out. One thing you might have to get used to/practice with is the timing of stepping on the footswitch. If you switch channels/modes/whatever on-the-fly mid song, there is a slight lag. I don't know why and JVM users have bitched about it since day one. But with some practice you'll learn how to do it so there's no lag. I don't mess with it often, but off the top of my head, I think it's the release of the button that completes the switching process. So if you press early and then release at the moment you want to actually switch, I think that gets it done. The footswitches went through a few tweaks over the years, so maybe it's different from year to year.

Yeah.. I'm not convinced that's gonna work in this particular case as that high note is held for a fraction of a second before the next one.

Maybe I should just get an Ibanez. They're so easily played. But then again they sound like crap.

Where you located? I'd consider selling my MIJ RG570.

One thing you might have to get used to/practice with is the timing of stepping on the footswitch. If you switch channels/modes/whatever on-the-fly mid song, there is a slight lag.
It's the same with the TSL. I think Marshall have incorporated some sort of automatic mute in order to kill any bumps/pops when switching. The next selected channel kind of fades in; it does it quite fast but it's noticeable. I'm sure I've developed a slightly early switch foot over the years to minimise the problem!

I'm loving the tones, by the way. Familiar and similar to the TSL but somehow better textured. Crisper but not harsher.

What sort of channel and master volumes do you set yours at for a typical gig where the guitar amp isn't miked?

I'm working on an album with an older friend who can no longer play. Building tracks around his ideas and adding my own little stamp to them. He's pleased with the results so far and it's nearing completion now. 11 tracks have taken quite a while to get done but it's been a sporadic recording adventure with us both dealing with work, families, deaths, etc, etc.

Other than that I'm writing new songs to start gigging again after a couple of years hiatus. It's time to get out and do some shit for a bit. I miss it!

What sort of channel and master volumes do you set yours at for a typical gig where the guitar amp isn't miked?

Hmmm, I'm not sure. I think I've only used it un-mic'd live one time. And I don't switch channels while playing, so can't really help ya there.

Since I use OD1 Green as my main sound from that amp, I do know that channel volume 5 and master vol 5 is about the same loudness as "4" on my other single master vol amps. So that's my own personal basic reference point. 5/5 on OD1 gets me in the ballpark of being loud enough on stage without being too loud for the FOH guy. This is mic'd up though.

And the Crunch channel is a little louder than OD1, with OD1 being a little louder than OD2. So it's like a reverse Spinal Tap "one louder" thing from channel to channel. They actually go down a little as you move through the channels. If you put the Crunch channel's vol on say 4, OD1 on 5, and OD2 on 6, they should all be pretty close through the master vol. The Clean channel again is the weirdo in that it's green mode bypasses the channel volume all together. The effects loop mix affects the channel volumes too. If you use the loop on one mode, and not on another, the volumes will vary a little more. You really just gotta dial it in for your own needs.

Well, when you are up for a new guitar I would definitely consider an Ibanez if you want something shreddy. Don't know where you got the idea that they sound shit - I think it sounds great.

Well, when you are up for a new guitar I would definitely consider an Ibanez if you want something shreddy. Don't know where you got the idea that they sound shit - I think it sounds great.

Maybe he meant the music that's usually made with shreddy Ibanez guitars is shit. :laughings:

Maybe he meant the music that's usually made with shreddy Ibanez guitars is shit. :laughings:
haha. Although given that he said his previous guitar didn't have enough frets and he's Norwegian I'd hazard a guess he doesn't share your loathing for Ibanez shred weapons.

Fuck, I should have offered him my Boss HM-2. I heard they're practically a religion in Finland and Norway.

Back