What's everyone working on at the moment?

Don't know where you got the idea that they sound shit - I think it sounds great.

I guess they sound good for what they do, but I'm definitely not a shredder. I would want it for the Chon stuff alone, because for some reason I really like their music even though it's very untypical for me. Chon doesn't use a lot of distortion and I really think their music would sound a lot better (to me) using, say, Jazzmasters or Strats. But like I said, the Ibanez guitars really plays great so I'd want one just for that (and the extra frets!).

haha. Although given that he said his previous guitar didn't have enough frets and he's Norwegian I'd hazard a guess he doesn't share your loathing for Ibanez shred weapons.

Fuck, I should have offered him my Boss HM-2. I heard they're practically a religion in Finland and Norway.

Turbonegro is from Norway and they don't use any bad metal gear or make bad metal music.

I guess they sound good for what they do, but I'm definitely not a shredder. I would want it for the Chon stuff alone, because for some reason I really like their music even though it's very untypical for me. Chon doesn't use a lot of distortion and I really think their music would sound a lot better (to me) using, say, Jazzmasters or Strats. But like I said, the Ibanez guitars really plays great so I'd want one just for that (and the extra frets!).
Yeah, the Ibanez isn't pretty - its a proper point thing with a Floyd Rose, super skinny flat neck and 24 frets. It does sound nice though.

---------- Update ----------

Turbonegro is from Norway and they don't use any bad metal gear or make bad metal music.
Just listening to Turbonegro now - not heard them before - they are pretty good.

1) Kicking around a few new song ideas.

2) Working with another player on a possible duo act, playing together tonight for the 2nd time.

3) Brought my 72 Tele out for a couple of open mic/jams recently, doing that again tomorrow night. Not looking to get back to the 100% electric gigging stuff, but its fun to do every once in a while.

4) Getting ready for a week's vacation in Cancun, leaving Saturday morning!

1. Putting together all the tracks of my new CD for burn it and give copies for friends

2. Getting ready to start on a new batch of compositions for the next CD

3. Excited with the acquisition of a midi controller keyboard

4. Getting prepared for a small surgery next week

I'm in total studio apathy mode. I'd been trying to rework a song with new contributions from robgreen. I got to redoing the vocals, tried a bunch of new techniques. They all fell flat, I got very discouraged, I gave up, and I haven't been back to it in a couple of weeks now. Rough time of year for me anyways. I'll get back to it in the next couple of weeks.

I'm working on a Jimi Hendrix influenced instrumental I've named "Homage to Hendrix"

nice.

I'm working on the finishing touches to a slower track i might post this week, the tracking stages of a second one, and the melody/arrangement to a third. Music/songwriting as a job, if it gets to that point, would be very difficult for me. I like to work on what i'm "in the mood" for at that moment - so i keep several things at different stages of readiness in the mix. last night i didn't feel like combing over 10 vocal takes for the best lines, so i worked on another track's drum programming. options.

sup Greg. glad you're back dude.

Hmmm, I'm not sure. I think I've only used it un-mic'd live one time. And I don't switch channels while playing, so can't really help ya there.

Since I use OD1 Green as my main sound from that amp, I do know that channel volume 5 and master vol 5 is about the same loudness as "4" on my other single master vol amps. So that's my own personal basic reference point. 5/5 on OD1 gets me in the ballpark of being loud enough on stage without being too loud for the FOH guy. This is mic'd up though.

And the Crunch channel is a little louder than OD1, with OD1 being a little louder than OD2. So it's like a reverse Spinal Tap "one louder" thing from channel to channel. They actually go down a little as you move through the channels. If you put the Crunch channel's vol on say 4, OD1 on 5, and OD2 on 6, they should all be pretty close through the master vol. The Clean channel again is the weirdo in that it's green mode bypasses the channel volume all together. The effects loop mix affects the channel volumes too. If you use the loop on one mode, and not on another, the volumes will vary a little more. You really just gotta dial it in for your own needs.

Thanks for the info. :) I think I have it programmed to my liking, now. Clean and Crunch set at about 5 to 12 on their channel volumes cover my Rhythm sounds and I've set up OD1 and OD2 as differently-voiced lead channels, volumes set at about 10 past 12. Button 5 is programmed to switch between the two master volumes, one a little louder than the other. Button 6 is set as a reverb on/off switch.

I like the differently-voiced lead channels. It's a feature that I didn't expect and one which really enhances some of the songs we do. OD1 is voiced quite thick and creamy, perfect for leads on stuff like Anarchy in the UK and London Calling, whereas the other one is clearer and more cutting, spot on for Clash and Damned stuff. I'm pretty impressed. :)

Sounds like a cool set bubba. Would like to hear you do a cover of Video Nasty!

Been tracking...tracking...tracking the last few weeks.
I'm working 3 songs at the moment.

I got one all tracked last week, accept the vocals...still working on the lyrics.
Finishing up the instrument tracking on the second over the last couple of days, and will be doing some more today...then I have to also finish the lyrics on that one.
The third one is in pre-production...should start on that one maybe this weekend.

I use to wait for the tracking until I had all my lyrics written...but I've found that I can do better/faster if I move ahead with the tracking, as long as I have a very clear melody in my head for the vocals, and I know how phrasing will generally go...that way, all my instrument arrangements and tracking is set up to create a complimentary bed for the vocals, and they'll drop right in once I have all the lyrics done.
Takes a greater amount of pre-production and foresight working that way...but I use to hate waiting to track, 'cuz sometimes the lyrics just took a lot longer, and I would lose feel of the how I wanted to play all the instrument parts.

Also have a couple "in-progress" songs on the shelf for when these are done.

I'm working on 4 different tunes at the moment, 2 have lyrics written and I just need to sing them but still having trouble recovering from nasty bronchitis late last year - has fucked up my nebulous sense of pitch control even further and I break out in a cough still on a regular basis. Plus I've just picked up a minor lurgy yesterday, so that's it for singing this week... :cursing:

One of the other tunes is a rehash of an instrumental from a couple of years back to which I'll add some lyrics. The other one's a bit poppy for me and I'm not sure what to do with it right now.

And working on my speaking voice for my assault and eventual world domination of the spoken word genre. :laughings:

And working on my speaking voice for my assault and eventual world domination of the spoken word genre. :laughings:

"Huge emphipod crastaceans skidder hithar and thithar, survoiving on sanken wuid fregments"

;) Just kidding - it's perfect. :)

Last edited:
1. Working

2. Raising kids

3. Not spending enough time with music. But am working on two projects with two different people which is slow but steady and writing a little here and there of my own stuff.

Dealing with a sick wife for day 2; hoping that the stomach bug doesn't migrate my way. Unable to make any substantial noise until tomorrow, hopefully, then I can finish up a tune that has been in the works for almost a month, in between school and home remodeling projects. 2 tests this week means a small break which just might give me time to make more headway on it.

Thanks for the info. :) I think I have it programmed to my liking, now. Clean and Crunch set at about 5 to 12 on their channel volumes cover my Rhythm sounds and I've set up OD1 and OD2 as differently-voiced lead channels, volumes set at about 10 past 12. Button 5 is programmed to switch between the two master volumes, one a little louder than the other. Button 6 is set as a reverb on/off switch.

I like the differently-voiced lead channels. It's a feature that I didn't expect and one which really enhances some of the songs we do. OD1 is voiced quite thick and creamy, perfect for leads on stuff like Anarchy in the UK and London Calling, whereas the other one is clearer and more cutting, spot on for Clash and Damned stuff. I'm pretty impressed. :)

Yup, that's how they are. OD1 is thicker, OD2 is slightly mid shifted and a little more articulate. Some dudes mod their OD2 to be identical to OD1, which is straight up retarded to me, but whatever. Each channel is it's own animal.

Back