What speakers are original to what amps?

Xdrummer

Is there any source that identifies what speaker makes/models are originally shipped with various combos? I have not been able to find a single source - and before I start searching one by one - I wanted to see if any of the fine people on this site may know of an easier way.

Why? I am trying to edit some amp simulators and want to as best as possible make sure that I am using the correct data. Many of the amp sims suggest the speaker sims are "original", etc. - but it would be nice to know what that may mean. I understand some basic things like a Fender Twin has 2x12 or a Bassman has 4x10 - but I'm getting really anal about trying to program these sounds as best I can (the eternal search for the holy grail of tone).

The options I have are for the most part limited to descriptions such as American 1x12, 2/12, etc, (I'm guessing Fender) - or Brit (or UK) 1x12, etc. (I'm guessing Marshall or Vox) or Boutique (perhaps Mesa, Bogner, Dumble, etc.).

At some point I will try the various speaker emulations with each amp sim - but I'd like to have presets for each amp matched to a reasonably accurate speaker - in addition to any user presets of my "favorite sounds.

I fully understand any emulations will not truly sound like the originals - but I can't afford to own 30 vintage amps - nor can I blast them in my little home project studio.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer!!!!

I am afraid you may have built yourself an exercise in futility because even if there were some sort of master list, the fact is each amp manufacturer has used many different types and brands of speakers in the same amp models. The voicing of speakers and amps is a bit hit or miss some ways, and an art in other ways so trying to codify something this complex is IMHO missing the point.

One of the reasons different speaker cabs are popular is because they work with different amps equally well, even though they may be very different timbres. My advice is mix em up and find out what you like best cause that's exactly what works best with actual amps.

My Amplitube Fender Collection has 30 speaker emulations. They're all 12-inchers, and I'm not sure if their names are made up, generic or real - there are no model numbers. The cab selections are no help as there is a large selection of Fenders as well as what appear to be IK Multimedia proprietary. I've tried mixing and matching and just get lost in the sauce after awhile.

Sample :

speakers.jpg

Last edited:
I must admit that I often wonder what exactly is being modelled in the cleverer simulations? I remember going into the local music shops and hearing something called an Intermusic Combo, and it was 2 12” speakers and and amp in a flight case with wheels. Transistors and lots of Watts. I think maybe 100 of them. The shop had a Vox AC30 and I thought it boring and dull and this new thing was great. I bought one. I sold it in 1995 and the buyer still has it. My point was that out of the two, the AC30 would have been the one to buy, by today’s standards of desirable sound. Back then the notion of memorialising that sound would have been mad, and who knows what a brand new brand new one back then sounded like? Maybe the tone we love is the aging of the originals, and not what they really sounded like? Are the new ones cleverly designed to sound like an old one, but brand new? We will never know.

I am afraid you may have built yourself an exercise in futility because even if there were some sort of master list, the fact is each amp manufacturer has used many different types and brands of speakers in the same amp models. The voicing of speakers and amps is a bit hit or miss some ways, and an art in other ways so trying to codify something this complex is IMHO missing the point.

One of the reasons different speaker cabs are popular is because they work with different amps equally well, even though they may be very different timbres. My advice is mix em up and find out what you like best cause that's exactly what works best with actual amps.

Thanks for the responses!

Gtoboy - Your description of "an exercise in futility" is perhaps the reality check I needed! I do plan to try various speaker emulations with the various amp sims to find sounds that work for me .... but I naively thought it would be cool to have presets of the "correct" amp/speaker combinations and then proceed from there. I would likely be better served spending my time trying to create the sounds I want vs. whatever sounds could be/should be original to the amp.

Back