What guitar is this???

I bought this guitar for $20 at a thrift store last week. There's no brand name and I've never seen one before, so I'm wondering if any of you might recognize it. The photos are crappy because they were taken on my crackberry.

Could be a "Vantage". They were built in a Japanese factory through the 80's. Nothing exceptional about the guitars, but they have a nostalgia factor and are developing a bit of a following. Try googling. I remember coming across a forum of Vantage guitar collectors. They would be able to help you identify if that's what it is.

Imported from Japan or Korea in late 60's early 70's I've seen lots of brand names on those guitars- Kent, Vantage, Teisco, Silvertone, Magnatone, Alamo who knows for sure, but it's likely worth the 20 bucks, but not much more.

Thanks. Yeah it is well worth the 20 bucks. Actually I was forced to improve it's tone, since whoever wired it didn't bother to ground anything. That's fixed, but a few of the frets are well worn. I love the neck though I should have posted a photo of that to show how thick it is.

I never would have recognized this guitar as a Vantage. I've owned Vantages before, and they were newer and more modern than this one. My first electric guitar was a Vantage; a stat with a HB at the bridge. It stayed in tune very well (when not using the whammy bar of course), and I liked its sound too. I also have a Vantage bass. I bought it from a friend and it's beat up, but I only need it for recording bass lines so it's good enough.

I'm with bassbrad on this one. It's one of those 60's or 70's "my first guitar"-type things. They were really cheap and you got them at Montgomery Wards, Sears, etc...

The main value of these things is nostalgia. Almost everyone of a certain age started on something that looked exactly like that.

I'm with bassbrad on this one. It's one of those 60's or 70's "my first guitar"-type things. They were really cheap and you got them at Montgomery Wards, Sears, etc...

The main value of these things is nostalgia. Almost everyone of a certain age started on something that looked exactly like that.

I can dig it. People my age tended to start on the generic "looks pretty much like a strat" model, just as I did.

I can almost guarantee that it's a Teisco. A buddy of mine collects them and based on the bar that goes over the strings above the nut and the bridge/tailpiece design scream Teisco at me.

Add Domino and Maybell to your list of possible brandnames. Many of those brands were made in the same factory so IDing them is iffy. I haven't seem that pickup before. How does it sound?

I bought this guitar for $20 at a thrift store last week. There's no brand name and I've never seen one before, so I'm wondering if any of you might recognize it. The photos are crappy because they were taken on my crackberry.

Yeah, it's a Jurassic ancestor of the Dusk Tiger 'Robot' guitar..:laughings:

I sure reminds me of the the Teiscos that I saw in Woolworths & K-Mart as a kid.

Back