What Gibson Is This??

Either an ES-339 or an ES-336. Basically the same guitars except the 336 is a bit higher end. With that top that's where I'm going with it.

Who cares about the guitar. These girls can sing. :D

Never heard of them before. I know what I'll be watching the rest of the day.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Yeah Chili.......they're excellent musicians and singers aren't they? They have a bunch of videos out there. I've been following them for a while now.

Either an ES-339 or an ES-336. Basically the same guitars except the 336 is a bit higher end. With that top that's where I'm going with it.

While they look the same, the construction techniques are totally different. The ES339 is laminate top back and sides with a centerblock, the same as an ES335, just a smaller overall profile. The ES336 is a routed mahogany block with a carved maple cap, like a "hollow Les Paul" in a semihollow shape. Since they both will have maple on the top, its almost impossible to tell the difference from a distance or in a picture.

Gibson doesn't list the 336 in their lineup anymore, but the 339 is still made.

While they look the same, the construction techniques are totally different. The ES339 is laminate top back and sides with a centerblock, the same as an ES335, just a smaller overall profile. The ES336 is a routed mahogany block with a carved maple cap, like a "hollow Les Paul" in a semihollow shape. Since they both will have maple on the top, its almost impossible to tell the difference from a distance or in a picture.

Gibson doesn't list the 336 in their lineup anymore, but the 339 is still made.

I am mistaken. IF it is a 336 it is a CS-336 not an ES-336. (different headstocks) However in response to your corrections to me.....for whatever reasons....Because this guitar seems to have gold speed knobs(hard to see )and what looks to be meatier frets with (it seems) thicker binding on the neck (look at the tabs on the fret ends) AND (here's the kicker) it has a darker back and sides than the top ....kinda like it's (probably) a mahogany guitar.

Which would make it a CS-336. I've had both. I actually know how they are made and their differences in construction techniques. Amazing, huh...It was just a guess on my part anyway.

Some of us aren't as random with a post as it might seem. But thanks so much for your diligent monitoring of the truth.

Actually, Cavedog, its' probably my bad here... Not really paying attention to the rim color, it should have been a dead giveaway to the 336. I guess I don't really think about the reason that the back and rim on mine are dark is that its standard for most mahogany backs to be dark. Laminate guitars are usually the same color, unless someone asks for a change.

I was really more just referring to the comment of being just a "higher end" of the 339, which to many people mean extra bling on the same guitar.

Also, HOW THE HELL CAN YOU SEE THE NIBS ON THOSE FRETS???? I clearly need a better monitor and new glasses! :thumbs up:

Cheers!

I have a ES-339, fantastic guitar. Really balanced sound and since it's smaller seems less muddy in the neck pu position. Fantastic instrument to record with. Only change I did was to stagger the pole piece height, otherwise bone stock, no need to change tuners and such. This is one of the biggest fallacies ever regarding Gibson guitars, get the nut cleaned out and the tuners will work just fine, also know how to string a guitar, do those two things and the guitar is solid.

Back