What do you think of Yamaha guitars and basses?

MikeTheSurfer

I'm not sales rep, just a home recording chap, but I've noticed over the years (from my point of view) that Yamaha makes guitars and basses that should be a LOT more expensive. I've had Fenders (American), Carvins, and more, but my Yamaha not only stays in tune exceptionally well, but sounds great. And it was two hundred bucks.

Any of you have similar experiences?

Yamaha products are usually a good value. Alot of great music has been made on the company's products.

I think that Yamaha is the best value in a middle of the road acoustic guitar. They sound good stay in tune and are built like tanks. I also like their Electric Bass Guitars they play easy and have a lot of "punch" IMO. I am not a fan of their guitar amplifiers.

Yamaha Makes Darn Good and affordable Equipment I love my RBX 170 and my little YPT 300 keyboard
and my BB 615 is simply AWESOME!
P_BB615.jpg

My first bass was (and I still have it) a Yamaha. I don't remember the model number, but it's a P/J type with very simple controls. It's a great little bass and it cost less than $300.

I'd have to give this one a great rating for being maintenance free for all these years and not one issue with this thing.

A new set of strings is all thats required now and then.

I agree with the person who said Yamahas are a good value (electric guitars/basses). I've heard from industry people that they don't spend a lot of dough on artist endorsements and adverstising and that they sometimes have suffered from that. However, the quality of their stuff is sometimes really underrated. They've put out some junk over the years, but their best stuff is as good as the best gear out there.

LL

...Yamaha makes guitars and basses that should be a LOT more expensive...

I used to have a Pacifica and an RBX160 bass, I've played other people's acoustics, also have had their PA equipment - they're great gear. I am bored visually, though - I don't want another Yamaha instrument.

I would rephrase, though - it'd say their gear is a fair deal. Other companies gear is often more overpriced.

I've owned 3 Yamaha electric guitars and thought they were all well made and very playable for the relatively low cost.

While I've not owned any Yamaha accoustics - I've played and recorded a couple and was actaully pretty impressed.....in particular for the price!

I've never tried a Yamaha bass - but I've heard possitive comments from two bass players I've worked with.

Yamaha products are usually a good value. Alot of great music has been made on the company's products.

More agreement here. For many years, I've had higher-end guitars, too, but my Yamaha acoustic (FG-345) has gotten tons of use. I recently picked up an RBX-170 bass, which is quite a nice little bass for under $200. When choosing one to take home from the local GC, I did notice, though, that the craftsmanship varied a lot (as I'd expect) among the four I tried.

Looking around my little studio, I also see a Yamaha AW-16G, a PSR-403 keyboard, and a dd-65 e-drum module--all very useful in their own ways. Yeah, Yam makes some great stuff for cheapskates like me.

J.

i think a yamaha makes a good product especially in their line of basses. But I think that a Yamaha acoustic holds a candle to my Taylor. But there is a significant price difference. Im not going to say that it was the best, but they are more affordable of the lower end of acoustics.

the cheapest the greatest

I have a Yamaha bass and a Yamaha classical guitar that i bought for 5$ in a garage sale. I also have a Jackson guitar, Fender 12 strings and a fender electric guitar, but you know what? the one that i prefer is the Yamaha 5$ guitar. Crazy hein?

I agree. I used to have a Yamaha classical my brother-in-law had picked up at a garage sale for $10.00. I wish I still had it.

I have a bunch of Yamaha gear....

I have a RBX250 bass guitar that my brother traded me a long time ago, he put EMG selects in it, and it sounds smooth and phat.

Yamaha Classical (second one I have owned) great guitar for $65.00

Yamaha FG335 with a D Tar pickup under the saddle, it has a big neck made in Tiawan and sounds HUGE!

FG 331 I found on the curb in a nice "hood" small body version of the 335 sweet writing guitar, but a little tinny sounding.

I would not part with any of them for any kind of money.

Back