What do you think of Yamaha guitars and basses?

I have a Yamaha Pac102, Pac120, one of the drop6, a bass, and a classical. I have replaced the pickups in a couple, but love the way they all play. I don't know if they make them as good as they did in the mid 90's when I got most of them.

I do also think that you can't go wrong with Yamaha... but there's the exception to every rule. My only Yamaha instrument is my classical guitar, and I think there are way better ones for the price.

I'm not totally sure, but I think the reason why they're cheaper than other quality brands (or better than other cheap gear) is the volumes they produce. I guess they sell tons and tons of pacificas all over the world (same thing goes for their bikes, hehehe). This way they can keep the price low and still earn enough, whereas other cheap brands try to keep their costs low by using cheap components and underpaid employees. :D

I've got a Yamaha FG720 acoustic that I mostly use for practice but it has ended up on some recordings. I mainly use it for practice and writing keeping the mileage off other guitars. But when I bought this I compared to all other guitars in the $300 range and it had the best sound to my ears so I got it.

I highly recommend Yamaha acoustics, great bang for the buck.

I don't remember ever playing a good-sounding Yamaha acoustic...

But I own a (really cheap) Yamaha strat copy that sounds really really good even just hooked directly into the computer.

i jammed on a couple of pacificas when i 1st started playing and liked 'em alright...but again, i had just started playing, and was totally awed just to jam on an electric guitar, so that didn't mean shit

i also have a yamama classical that sounds damned amazing for the $300 or so that it cost. it was originally my mom's guitar, but then i learned to play on it, and even after i moved out i kept "borrowing" it, so she finally just gave it to me.

i jammed on a couple of pacificas when i 1st started playing and liked 'em alright...but again, i had just started playing, and was totally awed just to jam on an electric guitar, so that didn't mean shit

I think they can still do the job - although the high-end pacificas (812 series) are strat-killers.

My experience with Yamaha instruments is very positive - an acoustic
(FG 300) from WAY back when, and a bex 4 semi-acoustic bass. Top notch in playability and price. I wouldn't hesitate to buy yammy gear - subject to reviews of course.

K.

I have a few yamaha things, I like it all. I played guitars all day when I was looking, A/B'ing evrything in the shop, the yamaha I tried played and sounded great and was only 300 or 400 $'s. I have a yamaha keyboard I like a lot, and a MW10 10x2 usb mixer that has served me well. I have no doubt I'll end up with more yamaha gear in the future.

Back