Went to Guitar Center...

finalfury1

Anyways guys. I went to guitar center today and picked out the gear I thought was good in my price range. I went for an epi les paul standard of course. After reviewing the telecaster, I really liked it but it was the mexi tele in my budget and the cost to "fix" it up into a beast would be incredibly over my budget. I am going to buy a tele eventually though because I love them. The amp I chose was the epiphone Class A all tube head and cabinet. It has amazing sound for it's price and I loved it! he crate palomino was just too loud (they only had 30 watt all tube) because I really want that tube goodness. What do you guys think before I make my final choice tomorrow?

Anyways guys. I went to guitar center today and picked out the gear I thought was good in my price range. I went for an epi les paul standard of course. After reviewing the telecaster, I really liked it but it was the mexi tele in my budget and the cost to "fix" it up into a beast would be incredibly over my budget. I am going to buy a tele eventually though because I love them. The amp I chose was the epiphone Class A all tube head and cabinet. It has amazing sound for it's price and I loved it! he crate palomino was just too loud (they only had 30 watt all tube) because I really want that tube goodness. What do you guys think before I make my final choice tomorrow?

All that matters is how it sounds to you. Did you try all the Epi Les Pauls in the store? Some play and sound better than others. All of them can be improved with an eventual pickup and electronics upgrade.

Yes I a lot of epis and picked the one which sounds the best to me. funny thing too... I wasn't going to try the guitar out because it is brown and matched my brown outfit. I said I am going for sound only. it was as if the guitar was meant for me...

Did you not like the tone of the MIM Tele, or just assume that you'd have to fix it because it was MIM? Some of them can sound pretty nice!

Did you not like the tone of the MIM Tele, or just assume that you'd have to fix it because it was MIM? Some of them can sound pretty nice!
No I liked the sound of it (overall) but it just wasn't meant for me. The guitar guy said my style suited the epi unless i got the tele and switched the pickups out. He is sorta a friend I trust...

If you prefer the Tele, pay your friend no mind. You can get good pickups cheap at guitarfetish.com, I'd guess any of the twin-blade type humbuckers would point you in the right direction. Their Les Paul copies aren't bad at all either...

If you prefer the Tele, pay your friend no mind. You can get good pickups cheap at guitarfetish.com, I'd guess any of the twin-blade type humbuckers would point you in the right direction. Their Les Paul copies aren't bad at all either...

I actually really liked both guitars and the amp seemed to say the pickups on the mim tele were crap (they werent hot at all). I am a lil over my budget as it is. I still need to buy a volume pedal and a tube screamer plus effects...

I actually really liked both guitars and the amp seemed to say the pickups on the mim tele were crap (they werent hot at all). I am a lil over my budget as it is. I still need to buy a volume pedal and a tube screamer plus effects...

Hey one advantage of a Tele is you sure don't need a volume PEDAL!! :p

All that matters is how it sounds to you. Did you try all the Epi Les Pauls in the store? Some play and sound better than others. All of them can be improved with an eventual pickup and electronics upgrade.

Quite true, I bought an Epi LP plus top recently and I played about a dozen different ones before I settled on the one I did. It had the best feel, much lighter weight, and an exceptional set up-where the others did not seem set up at all..:rolleyes:

I just got the volume pedal so I could ring up that awesome natural tube distortion and control the sound practice and live because I am singing as well as playing. It is kinda hard to manage singing and playing while turning the volume up on the telecaster. Volume pedal works nicer. O and also, the epi was soooo hot compared to all the mim teles I tried... (like 10). I know with a good pickup replacement the tele woulda had a fair chance. but 500+ on a tele with new pickups was a lil outta my balance since I wanted a tube amp. I settled on the ep because it fitted me best!

I couldn't live without my volume pedal.... although since I've gone to in ear monitors, I can't tell if I'm doing well (dynamically) with my volume pedal or not.

:o

For playing live I'm the same, I got to have that volume pedal to crank the leads. I have an older Ernie Ball that has a minimum setting for the rhythm sound though, I have looked for the feature on new E B volume pedals and it just isn't offered it looks like....:mad:

I just got the volume pedal so I could ring up that awesome natural tube distortion and control the sound practice and live because I am singing as well as playing. It is kinda hard to manage singing and playing while turning the volume up on the telecaster. Volume pedal works nicer. O and also, the epi was soooo hot compared to all the mim teles I tried... (like 10). I know with a good pickup replacement the tele woulda had a fair chance. but 500+ on a tele with new pickups was a lil outta my balance since I wanted a tube amp. I settled on the ep because it fitted me best!

You'll have to forgive me but being a long time pro and old school guy Tele players use their volume controls for swells and tone controls for wah effects as naturally as breathing. The controls are within easy reach of the pinky and and can be manipulated while playing. Plus neither the tone suck of a passive foot volume or tone change of a buffered unit. Gibson pots are not as conveniently placed on the guitar. The other thing if you watch the really good players is they're constantly changing their volume controls to dial in the exact sound they want. Jeff Beck, Danny Gatton, etc.

You'll have to forgive me but being a long time pro and old school guy Tele players use their volume controls for swells and tone controls for wah effects as naturally as breathing. The controls are within easy reach of the pinky and and can be manipulated while playing. Plus neither the tone suck of a passive foot volume or tone change of a buffered unit. Gibson pots are not as conveniently placed on the guitar. The other thing if you watch the really good players is they're constantly changing their volume controls to dial in the exact sound they want. Jeff Beck, Danny Gatton, etc.

Hi Red... is that you? I love your telewacking!

A word of warning about tube amps. They're like cars and shoes. Everytime you walk out the door they get more worn. Tubes are like oil filters. They gotta be changed. And when you put new tubes in your amp, the sound most likely will change a little. That's what I'm experiencing with my 50 watt Marshall JCM 2000. With the factory installed tubes, the amp sounded phenomenal. But ever since I've retubed it, the sound has been a little different, and not for the better. So I'm still experimenting with pre-amp tubes. And then there is the bias issue. When you change power tubes, the bias should be set. If you don't know how to do it yourself, then some guitar tech will have to bias it for you. Another expense.

Back