Welcome to Acoustic Guitars!

Chater-La

So you've asked for it, here it is! We will leave this up and see if there are any takers.... If we see that it is dead, we'll shut it down to streamline things.

Now- post! :spank:

If there is an acoustic guitarsub-forum then shouldn't there be electric guitar and bass guitar sub forums as well?

Well, I'm all for this sub-forum. Yeah, I'd like to see separate electric guitar and bass forums, but this is a good start, and if no other guitar sub-forums are created, we will all still be able to pursue happiness without them!

Really? Why not?

I don't know about TP and his reasons but for me I would rather see a broader basis for a sub forum if you have to have them. In this case I'd title it "acoustic instruments" rather than "acoustic guitars". That way it would include the likes of bass's, ukes, archtops, mandolin, etc. etc. A specific Acoustic guitar board is likely to lead to posts being lost or not read by many and you'll still get the uke, mandolin or archtop stuff spread across two boards.

Another down side is that you only get the most recent thread form both boards listed on the main page. Not different from before I agree but if you have two separate sections it may be better to have them entirely separate. Maybe an acoustic fretted forum and an electric fretted forum

Hi Mutt- yes, I considered this suggestion to make it an Acoustic Stringed Instrument forum. And we may still do that.

Basically, the idea is that for now the all guitar&bass discussions continue as they were in parent forum, except now there is a special place just for acoustic guitars as requested. Yes, ideally there should be a bass forum, an electric guitar forum...you know there is no end to this. We are also considering splitting guitar & bass altogether.

Hi Mutt- yes, I considered this suggestion to make it an Acoustic Stringed Instrument forum. And we may still do that.

Basically, the idea is that for now the all guitar&bass discussions continue as they were in parent forum, except now there is a special place just for acoustic guitars as requested. Yes, ideally there should be a bass forum, an electric guitar forum...you know there is no end to this. We are also considering splitting guitar & bass altogether.

I would caution against splitting the board into too many forums. I've seen it happen on other sites and they just become a mess with too many boards that don't get visited or viewed. On a guitar specific board maybe but not here.

I would just split it into two boards. Acoustic Instruments and Electric instruments. That way people are clear about where to post and the boards should get the same sort of traffic.

I would also make them separate boards rather than a sub forum. An example of what I was saying being just now when I checked in. I saw a post in the guitar and bass board listed in the front page but no reference to a reply in this thread.

A repair, maintenance and modding board may be of interest to some as well. We could include build threads, theory and general acoustics in that possibly.

Really? Why not?

Well we were hardly drowning in threads in the main G&B (sounds wrong somehow?) forum, and it used to be one of the busiest forums. I don't think it ever really recovered from the A&A split. Also, I think there are more logical splits to be had if splits are necessary - a bass sub-forum, or an amp and electronics sub-forum. I think the majority of threads in the G&B concern maintenance, and as such, much of the principles apply to both acoustic and electrics alike.

This forum is the answer to a question that nobody asked.

This is the best we have to go with at the moment and it is alot more valid then the polls conducted here on this forum where 20 people bother voting. Like I said, this is why we are trying this forum out.

If we never trust anything and never conduct surveys to ask people's opinions then we will never do anything. This is obviously not a university research project. Maybe we can be a little bit more positive about things sometimes :rolleyes: .

I must say that it is really tiring to always hear criticism and negative attitude - and one of the nice things about the survey is to finally hear the positive feedback. I welcome criticism but dismissing 1000's of survey replies because 'it is not representative' is really short sighted. It is representative of the people who cared enough to answer the questions. And that's good enough for me.

This is the best we have to go with at the moment and it is alot more valid then the polls conducted here on this forum where 20 people bother voting. Like I said, this is why we are trying this forum out.

If we never trust anything and never conduct surveys to ask people's opinions then we will never do anything. This is obviously not a university research project. Maybe we can be a little bit more positive about things sometimes :rolleyes: .

I must say that it is really tiring to always hear criticism and negative attitude - and one of the nice things about the survey is to finally hear the positive feedback. I welcome criticism but dismissing 1000's of survey replies because 'it is not representative' is really short sighted. It is representative of the people who cared enough to answer the questions. And that's good enough for me.

What you hear from me in this thread is not "criticism". It is feedback. If you can see past that fact and insist on looking for ways to justify want YOU want to do and take things in the directions you want to just come out and say so. There have been several very valid points about the way this has been implimented that you haven't even had the courtesy to address other than to slap at TP and ignore the feedback I gave.

As to the survey as a whole, it is deeply flawed and you know it. Loads of people just took the piss out of it.. Regardless of that look at it this way. I have kids and when it comes to decorating my house no matter how much they shout that they want green with white spots on the wall and a carpet on the ceiling it ain't going to happen.

I'm a drummer, and I think the only reason for any guitarists to exist is to bring lots of women to the shows so we drummers can grab at least a few of the beauty- and weight-challenged ones...

But seriously, here's my take on this...

I also "play at" guitar and bass. I mostly play electric, although I do have a couple of acoustic guitars around for my "front-porch pickin'".

I use the "New Posts" link on the front page a lot. Sometimes I'll see an interesting-looking link in a forum that interests me on the front page and check it out, then wind up poking around the forum looking at other interesting links.

But I only do this when the top-level forum is of interest to me.

Sometimes, poking aroun in the guitars forum, I'll wind up reading an "acoustic" thread, but only because it was in the "general" guitar forum.

And, unfortunately, an acoustic guitar forum would probably not attract my interest, which means I might miss an acoustic guitar thread that might have interested me.

So, I would prefer a consolidated guitar thread.

One other semi-related point...whether or not I read your post greatly depends on the title of the thread. I will probably not read a post titled "Dudes, guess what I saw at Guitar Center today", where I probably would read one titled, "I checked out the new models of Taylor (Martin, Gibson, etc) guitars at GC today...

There have been several very valid points about the way this has been implimented that you haven't even had the courtesy to address other than to slap at TP and ignore the feedback I gave.

Ummm....I agreed with your earlier feedback...if you scroll up. Its implementation is pending a few minor things. What I didn't agree with was you calling the survey not representative. But we can agree to disagree.

Ummm....I agreed with your earlier feedback...if you scroll up. Its implementation is pending a few minor things. What I didn't agree with was you calling the survey not representative. But we can agree to disagree.

My point is that it cannot possibly be considered representative for a vast number of reasons. Some surround the entire subject of the validity of statistical surveys and their use as a business development tool. Mostly in this case it surrounds tainted responses. I really cannot believe for one minute that many of the figures shown by the survey are in anyway accurate. Even if they were and it was my business I wouldn't act on them without thoroughly carrying out secondary investigations as to their implementation.

In this instance that would mean asking those that use the guitar and bass section if they thought such a move was appropriate or required and then how it may best be done. Just me though.

Back