weird noises when recording from Line 6 Spider...

sweetie

Hello there.

I'm having a bit of a puzzling problem, and this seemed like a good place to ask for possible solutions... :confused:

I'm getting a weird crackle/interference sound when I try to record an electric guitar from the direct output of a Line 6 Spider amp...

I'm using a Korg D12 (but only as a mixer) into a U-Control USB interface, recording into ACID 4. Now, when I plug the guitar straight into the Korg and use it's (admitedly crappy) amp simulator, the signal is crystal clear. But whenever I plug the Line 6 into the Korg's input I get this noise:

^ that was with the volume turned right down too!

If I just mic up the amp, again the signal is fine. And if I plug headphones into the Line 6, the signal is fine too. It's only when the Line 6 output touches the input of the Korg... I would just mic the thing up, but I'm recording late at night and my neighbour is a psychotic oddball.

So... does anyone have an idea what could be causing this? Some kind of interference from the laptop HD perhaps?? If so, what can I do to stop it?

Huge thanks in advance for any suggestions! :)

x

Last edited:
MP3 link didn't work but I can guess that you are probably clipping the Korg input. Digital distortion is nasty.

Hi gbdweller,

Hmmm. I'm definitly not clipping the input.. That sound was with the trim and the fader all the way down.. Besides, the noise doesnt really sound like digital distortion.. It sounds more like some kind of interference.. I just can't figure out where it's coming from ..

Perhaps the Mothership is finally calling me home?... :/

(MP3 link should work now, btw! )

sweetie said:
Perhaps the Mothership is finally calling me home?... :/
I almost saw George Clinton last night, but the line was too long and they were turning people away due to building occupancy limitations :( .

Do you hear the hum with just the amp on? Make sure everything is properly grounded. Other than that, I have no advice for you, sorry.

Back