Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Weird noises when recording

Thanks

Weird noises when recording

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello lads,

I'm new around here and I've registered because I'm having a problem that I just can't fix. I'm recording my acoustic guitar and I'm having really weird noises. It sounds like a resonance issue, kinda flanging, kinda phasing, kinda wah noises. It happens in all frequencies. After I cut out all the noises from all the frequencies with the EQ, there was no acoustic guitar sound left!

I've researched a lot, but I'm still in the dark.

First of all, I've tried thousands of mic positions. Best one I could find was 30º angle, pointed to the 12th fret, 1.5ft away from the acoustic guitar. But still didn't solved the problem.

Then I thought it was the acoustics of the room. I went to a studio with proper acoustic treatment, though the problem persisted.

Finally, I assumed that it is probably the cheap quality of my instrument.

However, I've read some posts where people had the same issue with good guitars - which gave me some hope of figuring out how to avoid this. Even so, I'm a bit lost and I don't know how to fix it.

Can someone help me? I'm attaching a file with my recording without any effect or EQ.

My current gear is:

PC: Dell Inspiron
    DAW: Reaper
    Interface: Behringer U-Phoria um2
    Mic: Behringer C1
    Guitar: Memphis MD-18

Cheapest gear money can buy (around $200 the full set)!

I thank you all in advance! Cheers mates!

test.mp3

Thanks
    Maybe you should also describe how you record into your computer...the setup, the settings.
    It could be something there, and not with the mic or guitar.

Thanks
    Well, I record mono, with an xlr cable. I usually record between -12 or -6 dbs.
    Out is set to 2x 32-48kHz, 16Bits. In is set to 2x 11.0-48kHz, 16 bits. Buffer size is 2048 samples. Latency compensation is 32 samples for both, in and out. Kernel buffers is set to 2. Resemple 44.1kHz <-> 48kHz. My audio thread priority is ASIO default/MMCSS Pro Audio/Time Critical. I've already recorded with and without direct monitoring. Matter of fact, those are the standard configurations - never thought about changing though... Can that be the problem?

Thanks
    I don' think it's technical, but just a boomy guitar that has a peak the microphone hears quite well. EQ will probably just make it thin. I'd start by a mic swap if at all possible to remove the mic from the equation. The mic and the guitar could have a similar peak in their response - another mic will soon answer this. Then maybe move the mic out to double the distance and though this will make the sound much thinner - it will either still reveal the resonance, or not. If at the distance it vanishes, then you just need to try lots of different positions. I'd get somebody else to play, stick some headphones on and then move it around while they play. Your settings are quite typical - I suspect miroslav was thinking maybe you were processing during record - dynamics or frequency stuff, but your interface isn't known for being coloured, or the mic really. You just need to borrow another mic to be dead sure, but my money is on the guitar just having a resonance that the mic picks up too well!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rob aylestone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm not actually hearing anything that is killing the tone. If anything I hear the resonant frequency of the guitar popping out around 250, but yet no low end. That is likely the guitar itself. Not necessarily the issue tho.

The string/pick noise is a bit much, but there is a ton of background noise. That will be mic placement and maybe mic too, but overall I am not finding it anywhere near bad. I would absolutely suggest a LDC on the bridge and a LDC on the 12th fret.

What is your goal here? Are you planning on adding other instruments?
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    Looks like you have a HPF on the track. I have nothing showing below 100hz. A recorded track of acoustic should have that.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    A little fun with some compression, eq, and verb.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    I still hear the background noise level quite high, but that may just be the U-Ph preamps being a bit high noise or gin up a bit past the ideal point. I would again suggest 2 mics.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmys69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Is the UM2 16-bit only? Online specs seem to only state sample rate.

I hear a lot of noise too.

Thanks
    Thanks a million for your opinions lads! Undoubtedly, I'll engage in this fórum - it's jut amazing have people helping you like that!

rob ayelstone: I thought the guitar resonance was the issue as well. It seems quite worthy to buy a better one. However, I have a bit of a drama around here. I'm currently living in Brazil and everything around here is ridiculously expensive due to tax policy. I chose to buy the cheapest guitar (around $70) because it does not pay to invest in a better one. For instance, a simple Martin DXMAE, which is probably the cheapest Martin guitar, costs around $599 (something I can easly afford). Here, a DXMAE is bizarrely costing $2.213,54! So, I'll have to wait for my next trip abroad to buy a better one.

jimmys69: I have only one behringer c1, which is a LCD if I'm not wrong. Otherwise I would definiely use another mic on the bridge. I didn't use any HPF on this track. Matter of fact, if I use a HPF nothing changes until 130hz. That's just the cheap guitar speaking, I guess. I'll work on mic placement to avoid the sting/pick noise (thanks for the tip!), but today the background noise was a bit too much in my building. My goal is too record a very simple demo with my songs - it is a songwriter project, with only voice and acoustic guitar. Here is an example of what I'm trying to do (I recorded a few weeks ago):

1-song.mp3

Your "little fun" is way better than the original and way beyond my newbie mixing skills! I'm still learning! But, maybe my speakers/headphone just accentuate a bit too much the noise! That might be one good hypothesis as well and the reason why I can properly mix my tracks and fix the noises...

Anyway, thanks again, both of you! I'll keep trying and once I've achieved a better quality level I'll post around here!

Cheers!

Thread Information