Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Warwick basses...they good?

Thanks

Warwick basses...they good?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey,

My first post... ........

I've been looking for a good beginners bass that doesn't sound like a cat that had its tail stepped on...so how bout the Warwick Streamer Standard 4 string? I need the bass to last me, and a good one for recording.

Oh! almost forgot...what kind of music calls for a 5 or 6 stringed bass, its heavy metal right?

--grazzman

Thanks
    For any reviews (in my opinion) the best place to visit (as well as ask questions here) is harmony central.

For you that would be:
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data4/
    and more specifically:
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data4/Warwick/

I can't give advice on this subject meself so check it out. Have fun on this forum,

Krystof.

Thanks
    I have 2 Warwicks,both 5 strings.I've played the Streamer Standard and I think it a good instrument,but in your shoes I'd go looking for one of their active models on the used market because they are better and more versatile.You should be able to find a used Corvette for around the same money as a new Streamer Standard,I've seen several FNA's used for $850 or so on various web sites.

Thanks
    Do you think I should try them out because I've never picked up a bass and thought about seriously playing it until now, and I've heard that a lot people get turned off by just how it feels to them.

I was gonna go to the store sometime this week and check out some new Streamer Standards but I'll add the FNA to the list (not to buy of course, I don't that kind of $$$ right now

It'll be great if I can get a Corvette FNA for $850, even if it's used.

Thanks

Talking

Hot cha cha, cha cha cha cha!

Thanks
    I have a Streamer-Stage 1 that I am very happy with.

There isn't any type of music that "calls" for a 5 or 6. You'll hear them in everything from jazz to country.

For a beginner bass, I wouldn't spend nearly that much money though! If you're dead set on spending that money and you play heavy stuff (or did I interpret that post wrong) you'll want to try a Stingray 5 and a big as# Ampeg. That's the go-to setup for most of those sounds.

Happy hunting!

---EDIT
    I just found this on Harmony Central and I thought it was a trip. Anyone familar with the curved body on a Streamer can appretiate this. This was part of a review posted by Dan Fields:

"I really like the fact that i've grown to accomodate its concaved body. It took me a while, but all that beer paid off, and my belly and the bass are one entity."

Ha! Way to go Dan!

Brad Gallagher
    http://www.just-for-musicians.com/
    Last edited by xtremedb; 07-16-2001 at 16:11.
    Brad Gallagher
    http://www.just-for-musicians.com

Thanks

Cool You got a nice site there, Brad

I just wanted to know what's the deal with 5 and 6 string, but I'll be playing jazz and rock. Thanks for info!

Thanks
    Thanks for the compliment on the site. I've been working really hard at it... Search Engine positioning is tough stuff :-(

As far as the deal w/5&6's, there are a number of factors. Many people feel that four's are more comfortable. You have to extend the scale to make the B string sound good w/out fretting out.

On the other hand, you have more tonal range... If you get a decent bass, that low range of the B string will shake your balls!

A six is good for chording for one thing. For another, it lets you develop ideas in one area of the fretboard, instead of having to jump all over the place. This will make it much more logical when transposing walking lines in jazz, etc...

For example, since you're a jazz player, lets say you are doing this cycle of fifths thing one the E, A, and D strings. On a six string, you can move it up w/out changing the shape.

Does that make any sense?

Brad Gallagher
    http://www.just-for-musicians.com/
    Brad Gallagher
    http://www.just-for-musicians.com

Thanks

Might want to try this

I've got a corvette myself. Nice instrument although it doesn't DI very well. Great sound close mic'd.

I've noticed that www.musicyo.com are selling cheap Tobias basses (as well as a pile of other stuff)

Thanks

err...

Don't forget that I'm a newbie when it comes to using a bass. But I see what your saying.

So what do you suggest I get? (Remember I'm just starting out here) And I figure that the 5 and 6 strings will have a bigger neck, so does that make it harder to learn?

Thread Information