Wah Wah Wah Wah

David

Does anyone here use a Wah Wah pedal? I used to own a crybaby, and for the most part loved it, but it kinda had that top-end harshness about it I didn't like, anyways its gone. does anyone use the budda wah,or the crybaby 535Q, OR VOX, I read someone say the Morley pedals didn't stack up well, Oh yea the snarling dogs pedals Anyone? thanks for your trouble. David G.

I have a cry baby, and couldn't agree with you more. If you are looking for less High end, or a bit darker sound, the 535 wroks nicely, but I would probably go after the VOX. It is a little bit mellower, Plus it is chrome and comes in a little carry bag :)

MIKE

I have got a mess o' Wahs:
Morley sucks-gave it to drummer-brother
Snarling Dawg-cool looking -very,very harshish
Carl Martin- nice, expensive-so, so sound
Thomas Organ CryBaby--sweet-yet trebelly
Dunlap CryBaby--trebley yet funky
Telstar-cool has siren,hurricane,surf sounds
DeArmond--harsh,trebley,noisy
New Vox-sweet,sweet,sweet-did I mention sweet!

I use my Heil Talkbox for all my wah-wah sounds. That way I can control the exact sound I'm trying to achieve. Plus, it's just a lot of fun to play with.

Morley wahs' worst feature is that 90% of the sound range occurs in 10% of the rocker motion. Very hard to control and play, esp for wah beginners like me. Also, they can't be left in a half-open position - they are spring loaded to return to OFF.

Not well regarded - go elsewhere.

If you want the ULTIMATE wah buy the cheapest Dunlop you can find, rip the guts out, and put in a Roger Mayer retrofit kit.
( http://www.rogermayerusa.com/ ).
If you want the cheap and easy way out pick up one of the Vox reissues...they also sound great but not as good as the Roger Mayer.
The regular crybabies, etc. all suck.

Speaking of woo-woo's. (that's what an old-time jazz guy I knew used to call them)
My Cry-baby(s) used to rock but now they stick so bad I can't play them. Anybody ever rescued one with a blast of lube. What kind?
Was any disassembly and corrosion-product removal required?

It's kind of cheesy, but the DOD wah/volume (FX59?) was able to sweep thru so many frequencies (is that the best way to put it?) almost to the point of it sounding like a joke (really good for the old "Sesame Street" end theme, the one with all the brass) .... I had the Hendrix wah, and that's pretty cool too, I'm pretty sure Dunlop made it, but it didn't cut through heavy distortion/fx so well...good for clean/slightly distorted tones...I hated the Morley wahs...just clunky...

I used to have a FX59, I never liked it. It wasn't "vocal" enough, my new CryBaby (Dunlop) is much more expressive, especially through my Godin on the neck pickup, it's incredible. The FX59 was also very unreliable, it gave me tons of problems, and I hated the bypass switch. I tried a Morley too, its effect was more subtle than the CryBaby, that's why I didn't like. The CryBaby really makes my guitar talks! But as some of you pointed out, it's too harsh when you pull completely forward, I get all kinds of weird noises when I try to play Bulls On Parade by RATM which use a lot oh wah-wah on the rhytm guitar.

Back