Vintage Freaks - Help!

Daddy-O

I've been collecting and trading vintage stuff for quite a while now, but I am having difficulty identifing a Silvertone hollow body. I now that it's from the early fifties but I don't know the model name and can't find this guitar in any reference books. Here is it's descrption: Wide & deep single cutaway hollow body with black finish, two pickups(the same as forties Gibsons- pre P-90), white pickgaurd with Silvertone "S" in black, four control knobs, selector switch and yes, aluminum binding around top and back. It also has mother of pearl block inlays and a bound neck. The serial/ model numbers are stamped and visable through the F-holes but have faded over time all that I can make out is 1075???.
I asume that this one was manufactured by Kay for Sears in the early to mid fifties. Can any one tell me more about this guitar?

Silvertone was a "House Brand" owned and used by Sears from 1941 to 1970.
Manufacturers included Harmony, Valco, Danelectro, and Kay. All of these guitars were made in the U.S.
In the mid 60's, Teisco took over as the main manufacturer. These were Japanese made guitars.
The guitar you are describing sounds like it was one of the Harmony-made guitars... possibly a Silvertone Deluxe or a Sovereign.

ADAM, thanks for the site info. My guitar is pictured there, only mine has a bigsby instead of a trapieze tail piece. Also, I'm moving to NYC (well almost;Long Island) and would like to find out where the best vintage guitar shops are. Thanks

Vintate places - my favorite is 30th St. guitars on (big surprise) 30th st., between 7th and 8th. Huge selection - lots of silvertones, gretsches, fenders, and some odd ball stuff. Good bunch of guys work there, mellow and real helpful. In the village there is Matt Umanov on Bleeker. More expensive stuff - rare/expensive stuff, with a few good finds. I have had some goos experiences there, with a bad one thrown in for good measure. Carmine St. guitar is GREAT for repairs and has some selection. Most of all, Rick Kelly, the owner is the nicest guy around. In the east village and the Lower East Side there are one or 2. One is on ludlow between houston and stanton. No real opinion on it. I take great pains to stay away from the "guitar district" 48th st btn 6th and 7th. That is were the famous stores are - Manny's, Rudy's, 48th st custom, Sam Ash. I work a block away from there and would go anywhere else. People that work there are rude and not knowledable at all. It really is like a time warp. I bought my first new guitar there 13 years ago and the people still look like they are from the 80s. Welcome to NY.

Do I have a treat for you!

Go to Staten Island when you have a whole day to spend on this. Go to
Mandolin Brothers at 629 Forest Avenue and prepare to be amazed.

A GREAT store - very relaxed atmosphere, very knowledgeable staff and rooms full of extremely high quality guitars and basses and all of it the real McCoy.

I traded vintage guitars and amps for five years, got my own collection together that way, probably bought and sold over 100 guitars and was totally impressed by Mandolin Brothers. You'll have an absolute blast there.
http://www.mandoweb.com/

What a fun day you have coming!!!

foo

P.S. Unfortunately I have to agree with Adam on 48th Street. Total jerks.

[This message has been edited by foo (edited 04-28-2000).]

[This message has been edited by foo (edited 04-28-2000).]

THANK FOR THE INFO GUYS!!!!!!! It would take the rest of my life to walk Manhattan block by block to find these places. Besides it will give my girlfriend a few torture treaments to drag her into guitar shops during our satudays in the city : } Thanks again.......

Back