The ultimate hidden jem?

famous beagle

I was in a local store the other day and saw this little Gibson GA-5 Skylark sitting there, so I plugged it in. I couldn't believe it. This thing smokes. It's beautiful.

I picked it up for $230. It's about 10 watts, with volume control only. I've since read that they're very similar to the Fender Champ design, but I've played several Champs and none of them compare to this, IMHO. This has got brilliant chime, and it's the most responsive amp to guitar tone controls I've ever played. You'd think it wouldn't be verstaile at all with just a volume, but you can get all kinds of sounds with it .. and they're all damn good!

With humbuckers, the dirt is gorgeous and gritty.

This thing is simply a monster! Best $230 I've ever spent, hands down!

I have no idea why these things are going for so cheap.

Last edited:
I owned a GA-5 Skylark that had a design similar to the Fender Champ with black tolex. I think they were made in 1965 or 1966. The speaker was a 10" CTS AlNiCo. It was clean sounding like the Blackface Princeton, but used different tubes in the power section. You might also want to check out some of the vintage Alamo amps, which are also sweet.

I love those - I've got two of them. Both don't have the tremolo, like that one. I've seen them referred to as the "Crestline" version of the skylark.

I love those - I've got two of them. Both don't have the tremolo, like that one. I've seen them referred to as the "Crestline" version of the skylark.

Yes, that's what I have as well (no tremolo). It's a 65. I honestly have never found a better deal in the music gear world.

there's one up on ebay -- much dirtier looking. Says it's a "'50's" amp, but yes - mid sixties:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1950s-VINTAGE-G...ryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I got my second one for parts, just in case the first one broke, but they both work

That EBay one has a look of 'stored away in a damp basement for too long'- especially that rust on the control panel. I guess I've seen too many electronic devices that have been stored that way and they sure make me suspicious...:(

Got the one with tremelo. GA 5T
I guess gibson threw the skylark name on a bunch of different amps
in those days. Mines a '62 i think. Kind of like a princeton.
It has teeny tubes associated with radios and hi-fis of the era i've been told.
I've also heard them referred to as "small bottle" amps.
The tremelo has a single control which varys the speed only. Can make a
nice slow pulse.
very chimey and sweet. Good recording amp. I replaced the broken 10" speaker with a weber reissue which did make it a bit louder with better
lows.
I don't use pedals, so i don't know if it likes them. I'd think not so much, but hey, try it.
Good value imo

Back