the ultimate guitar tone

jimistone

long standing member
I enjoyed hearing the different opinions on things that make your guitar tone suck. So, I'm interested in what you guys considered to be an example of your absolute favorite guitar tone. I realize each genre with have a different favorite tone.

In blues there are so many recordings that have great tone but IMO Albert Kings "personal manager" is the ultimate blues tone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SwyASx4TkkA

Too many to list.

Edit - I've been thinking about this for an hour. I normally don't give these kind of general opinion threads much thought because no one's opinion really matters about anything, but I'm digging deep into the memory banks and coming up with too much stuff.

My absolute favorite tone...I'll just give the easiest answer - my own. Nothing excites me like hearing myself blasting through cabs or listening through speakers.

Last edited:
Too many to list.

Edit - I've been thinking about this for an hour. I normally don't give these kind of general opinion threads much thought because no one's opinion really matters about anything, but I'm digging deep into the memory banks and coming up with too much stuff.

My absolute favorite tone...I'll just give the easiest answer - my own. Nothing excites me like hearing myself blasting through cabs or listening through speakers.
good answer!

My favorite is stevie ray vaughn's on mary had a little lamb. Peter green's on the boston album is nice too. Blues players have all the great tones.

Oh hell yeah. Was he playing through a Marshall Major in those years? I should totally know that but I don't know much about what Ronson played when.

That soundtrack sounds so much like the Motion Picture Soundtrack, but the footage is unfamiliar. Wonder if it's mashed together?

That's a favorite of mine too, as far as Bowie songs go. I haven't heard that particular performance before, that I recall. Very clean for a live recording.

Since you all were discussing chorus on the other thread, here's a tone that has always inspired me. I can't think of a more perfect mix:

Oh hell yeah. Was he playing through a Marshall Major in those years? I should totally know that but I don't know much about what Ronson played when.
Yup, Marshall Major. You can see it in the vid. It's that Marshall with the tiny faceplate with only like 4 knobs on it. Mick Ronson's killer half-cocked-wah sound is what started The Tone Thread.

Are we talking about lead guitar tones or rhythm guitar tones...as they are generally not the same.

Anyway...lead guitar tone, pretty much anything form Page qualifies as great guitar tone.

This is one of my all time favorite guitar tones, the rhythm guitar that kicks in around 1:14 or so has just floored & fascinated me for over 30 years now...I remember the first time I heard it & actually paid attention, summer of '84...I was 13 & immediately hooked on everything that was even related to rock music from then on....Hard to believe it's been over 30 years, where the fuck does the time go???

Big shout out to Lou, without him, we wouldn't have our Tone Thread, thanks brother!!!!

Wah-wah pedals - awesome sounds and tones in the right hands (feet?), but for most they would be more appropriately called Ow-ow pedals.

Back