Tuning to "D"

Country Moon

Hi, I've recently taken to tuning my guitar entirely in "D" (D-G-C-A-D) because I I get a lot of voicings I really like that work better with my vocal range than the standard "E" tuning... Now, I use light-top heavy-bottom strings (.10-.52) and find that since I've been down-tuning, they don't stay in tune worth a darn. Do I just have to re-intonate my guitar, or should I change string gauge?

Leave it to the Doc...*GRIN*
Anyway, I tune to all sorts of tunings. Some of mine aren't even tunings, I just twist the pegs til it sounds good. It's good ear training...., but have your allen wrench on hand!!
What is happening when you detune is the neck moves, changing your intonation and action and other stuff. Some guitars are real sensitive to this like my '68 strat. You can see the neck move when you tune it! Others have enough wood in the neck that they just don't give a darn. So, if you want your guitar to stay in this tuning then you have to set it up for playing in 'd' or you'll have to get another guitar. One that doesn't have a real sensitive neck (those guitars usually have a neck like a baseball bat sawn in half.) Good luck!

Viking_______________________________________

Thanks a lot man! I will definetely re-intonate my guitar, and look into maybe getting some better tuning pegs. Much appreciated!

Back