Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tube Questions

Thanks

Tube Questions

Sign in to disable this ad
    Just got my first tube amp, a 60w ashdown fallen angel combo. I wondered what the characteristics of knacked tubes are? Everything ive read says the amp has good low end, and whilst its got a lot of low end, its not tight, sounds flabby.
    Also even with the gain on full and the boost on and the treble on full, i can barely get a pinched harmonic out of it. Seems to be with the gain and treble both on full, it should be fairly fizzy and harmonics should fly out. I've had to order up a noise gate as the feedbacks uncontrollable with volume on 4.
    Guitar i'm using is a Yamaha Drop 6, tuned down a step and a half and in "drop d", with a single emg 81 in the bridge.

Thanks
    Turn the gain way down, all the way to clean. Turn the volume up, until you can hear the sound thicken or even start to OD a little. Bring up the gain to taste. Try with and without the boost. Report back with findings.

Thanks
    I'll try next week when im next int he practise room, which volume do you mean? The channel volume was on about 8, master was at about 4.

Is needing a tubescreamer fairly common practise in metal and stuff?
    Last edited by chamelious; 01-04-2009 at 13:31.

Thanks
    Master volume, with the channel volume adjusted to balance the channels. What you're looking for is to drive the power section, which means playing pretty loud. So start on the clean channel, turn up, switch to the dirty channel with the gain down, then gradually increase the gain and decrease the channel volume until you're as close as you're going to get.

Lots of people, maybe a majority, who use tube amps for distortion will use some sort of OD/distortion/fuzz. I didn't for many years, but I'm just getting into it. There's something to be said for the different characters available, even if you don't need the extra gain (although you may). It's very common, nearly ubiquitous, in heavy music.

Thanks
    Hmm ok thanks very much for the advice, you've been very helpfull i'll try what you said and probs get myself a tubescreamer of some sorts. Any thoughts on where to start? Thinking maxon, seems to be popular. The amp doesn't exactly sound bad now its pretty awesome just not 100% there, so i guess it can only get better.

Thanks
    I think what ermghoti is saying (and might have been missed) is that instead of Gain on 8 and master on 4, you should try Gain on (whatever sounds best) and master on 8.

Getting pinch harmonics and crazy gain out of a 60W tube amplifier is going to require getting the power stage really cooking, in my experience. I'm not really familiar with the Ashdown Fallen Angel, but this is true for every tube amp I have played. If you're not trying to go deaf, get a power soak or use a pedal as suggested.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RejectionNinja View Post
    Getting pinch harmonics and crazy gain out of a 60W tube amplifier is going to require getting the power stage really cooking, in my experience.
    Pinch harmonics and gain have nothing what so ever to do with the power stage. Gain comes from the preamp stages and pinch harmonics are produced by a picking technique.
    "Sorry buddy...The magic wands are still on backorder."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnor View Post
    Pinch harmonics and gain have nothing what so ever to do with the power stage. Gain comes from the preamp stages and pinch harmonics are produced by a picking technique.
    Yer, but what i was saying was im able to produce them easily on other setups but they dont come out easy on this amp (so far).

Any suggestions on pedals? Im looking at maxon od808...

Thanks
    You don't need a tube screamer. In fact I don't even know why you think you need one. a tube screamer is not needed to make a tube amp scream. Those are generally used to boost the signal going into a fairly clean tube amp to push it even further. Like say SRV boosting his strat into a 59 Bassman. The bassman breaks up nice, but he wanted to drive it even harder. I realize there are no rules to what you can and cannot do, but this doesn't sound like a case of needing more gear to accomplish something. Sounds like you need to play with the amp more and not be so extreme on the settings.

I haven't played that amp, but based on this the sound coming out of this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPEde1Hrb34 (namely at 0:33)
    you should have no problems getting pinched harmonics to sing with that amp.

Thanks
    Your gate is probably unnecessary as well. It certainly won't do anything for feedback.

Thread Information