Tube Amp Problem

gitrguy87

Im playing on a 63' Sears Twin Twelve 1484 tube amp. It has never givin me problems and always sounds great. But lately it has been giving off some extra noise. Any suggesstions?

What kind of noises..??

and when does it do this,... while you play,... when you turn it on,... when you adjust volume, or tone,....

need more info,...

and the last guys question too,...

Steve

never replaced the tubes. it makes loud buzzing noises all the time. when its on, and when im playing and not playing.

Tube really don't last 40 years, neither do filter caps. You should take this in and get it recapped and retubed.

Also is your amp and guitar near a computer and monitor of sorts? If so you may want to reposition it.
AND REPLACE THOSE TUBES (and make sure they are profesionally matched) ;)

Gabriel

I had a similar problem and thought my tube amp was wrecked after only less than 2 years of use. Turns out it was the guitar! Got the guitar cleaned and the noise went away.

Silvertone Twin Twelve

The 1484 has ungrounded inputs, so it's noisier than modern amps. It also has an ungrounded ("2-Prong") plug, but it has a ground switch so you can minimize hum.

Take it to a tech. They'll love it. The 1484 is Vacuum Tube 101. Anybody who can fix a tube amp can fix a 1484.

I have a '63 I bought from the original owner for $40 in 1974. I'll bet he's still kicking himself.

The wierd thing is, is that the inputs are grounded (I toy around with electronics for a hobby). I took the head out of the enclosure to clean it and i looked at the inputs and they were grounded.

Back