Tracking bass w/ a POD?

u2bonoman

I'm talking a regular POD, not the one specifically for bass. I was talking to a friend who says he knows an producer who does it all the time.

My current situation is that I'm having difficulties tracking bass, because a) my bass sucks and b) eq problems...

Does anyone else track bass through a POD, and if so, are there any specific settings you could tell me about? I'm just going for a clean sound, kinda bright, but a little edgy.

Thanks!

u2bonoman said:
I'm talking a regular POD, not the one specifically for bass. I was talking to a friend who says he knows an producer who does it all the time.

My current situation is that I'm having difficulties tracking bass, because a) my bass sucks and b) eq problems...

Does anyone else track bass through a POD, and if so, are there any specific settings you could tell me about? I'm just going for a clean sound, kinda bright, but a little edgy.

Thanks!

does the pod have different cab options (I think the pod vI. doesn't have that option) try running through the cabs with the line 6 clean or the pre amp

turn the Chan. volume up quite high & keep the drive quite low to start with & the tone controls flat, tweek as you play along to the track pushing the drive up to get the required edge. Play around (if you can) with cabs & try a bit of the compressor effect lightly as I would imagine you'll be slightly post compressing as well

Also try running the pod through a di box

good luck
S :D

ez_willis said:
Out of curiosity, why?

when I first ever got a pod (a now shady memory) I recollect the manual saying something regarding connecting to a DI box (also a shady memory) to match the impedance. Admittedly I never bothered (DI-ing) always being happy with the sound I managed to get

having the impedance from the pod completely matching the impedance going into the desk would have some effect on the sound...........

so at the end of the day EZ_W why not

I haven't thought about it for ages as I have a pod XT live & it has switchable impedance. When I work live I run through a combo with 1 channel & DI the other to the PA

studio life (to me)= trial & error

& sometimes the errors turn out more pleasing than the disired achievement

L8r

And dude, chill. I'm not saying don't use a di, I'm saying you can get a good sound without one so don't run out and drop cash for nothing.

ez_willis said:
And dude, chill. I'm not saying don't use a di, I'm saying you can get a good sound without one so don't run out and drop cash for nothing.

I'm chilled my man & I know you can get a good sound without it "as I stated in a previous post" but you never know untill you try & I didn't cos I was happy. It was merely a suggestion to try on the off chance that maybe it did turn the dude's bass sound into the best thing since Stanley Clarke

BTW did you bad rep me on this thread?? person X is at it again (I can sense your vibeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee)

I'm getting fed up being repped for things I'm not offending with :confused:

I've used my POD and gotten decent sounds. It's just all experimentation on it. I've gotten good sounds direct, and with a V-Amp.

slidey said:
I'm chilled my man & I know you can get a good sound without it "as I stated in a previous post" but you never know untill you try & I didn't cos I was happy. It was merely a suggestion to try on the off chance that maybe it did turn the dude's bass sound into the best thing since Stanley Clarke

BTW did you bad rep me on this thread?? person X is at it again (I can sense your vibeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee)

I'm getting fed up being repped for things I'm not offending with :confused:
I very, very rarely give neg. rep, and I always sign it.

Back on topic, and this is a question because I don't know, I never record with a di. Would running a di after the POD make it sound better, if the di was top notch?

Rico 52 said:
If you have a tube pre.................try running the pod into that.
It worked for me

Rico

hmmm I did that in reverse using a focusrite voicemaster platinum (I think) with my low tooned strat going through & then into a fender bassman ampfarm setting

The classic model pack has a couple of bass amps, Brit Bass and another one which I've forgotten. You might want to try those with no cab or maybe the 1x15 sim.

here's a thing

I don't mean to bang on about neg rep (cos I'm a nice guy honest :rolleyes: )

but the message "person X" left was this "pod as a DI--bad idea"

if you took everything off amps/cabs/fx the works everything off, it would be (to an extent) a DI AND the bass pod has a designated DI out

so person X go rep away, but put your name to it cos I've a suspicion you've done it twice to me now for no apparent reason :confused:

rant over
I am always smiling (it's the best defense ever or OMMMMMMMMMMMMM works quite well & I've seen it work)

slidey said:
I don't mean to bang on about neg rep (cos I'm a nice guy honest :rolleyes: )

but the message "person X" left was this "pod as a DI--bad idea"

if you took everything off amps/cabs/fx the works everything off, it would be (to an extent) a DI AND the bass pod has a designated DI out

so person X go rep away, but put your name to it cos I've a suspicion you've done it twice to me now for no apparent reason :confused:

rant over
I am always smiling (it's the best defense ever or OMMMMMMMMMMMMM works quite well & I've seen it work)

If you think you know who it is, put them on your ignore list. If he/she is the person who gave you the negative rep it will disappear.

I now solely do my bass tracks with a real bass through my guitar Pod XT. Works perfectly for me. I'll post a clip later if I get a chance.

ez_willis said:
If you think you know who it is, put them on your ignore list. If he/she is the person who gave you the negative rep it will disappear.

I havn't got a clue who it is at all...........not a sausage

Back