Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Total amps needed....

Thanks

Total amps needed....

Sign in to disable this ad
    For live shows first.....
    for one guitarist, one bass player, and an acoustic drum set, and vox...what amout of watts would be needed for both the bass and guitar amps?

what about for recording? how many watts would be needed for guitar and bass in the studio environment?

THANKS A TON

Thanks
    Our line up is the same as yours. We work on the basis of sufficient wattage to give us good levels in rehearsals and on stage - i.e. what we can hear. We let the sound man worry about FOH when we gig.

So our point of reference is the acoustic drum kit - we need to be loud enough to balance with that. In our case, it's 400W for bass, 100W for guitar and a 400W PA for vocals (which we could potentially use as foldback on stage if we ever needed to). We could get by with less than those wattages (about half) but it's nice to have the headroom. The guitar amp is rarely turned up past about 2 or 3 - 100W is a bit excessive really. Sound men complain if my bass amp goes over about half volume, as there is too much spillage into his PA mix.

Hope that helps.

(Edited to say that recording is totally different - volume is irrelevant and its only the sound that matters - many guitar amps for recording sound great at low volume.)

Thanks
    so conceivably....id only need one guitar amp (about 100W) and one bass amp (about 400) for recording and concert, because i can alter levels, etc. while recording?

Thanks
    I'm using a 40W combo and it's doing just fine in an indie rock band

Thanks
    spankenstein
    I'm also from KC. What band are you in?

Thanks
    Also-

why have i read from users in this forum that 100W for a guitar would be way too much for home recording? What should wattage be like for guitar and bass for home recording? *sorry i should have specifed that*

For live-- 100 W for guitar would do
    300-400 for bass would do....

so how about home recording?

Thanks
    I use a 100w tube amp for home recording and it works fine, the only problem is you don't get alot of headroom as you can't turn the amp past 2 or 3 without going deaf. For bass it's the same wattage as guitar, 300-400 would be near insane...for both live and home rec use a 50-75w amp would probably be best. 100w is overdoing it alittle.

Thanks
    Toad Rush - bass needs more watts than guitar to achieve the same volume as it has to movr more air - rule of thumb is three to four times. Completely agree 3-400W is insane at home, but with a good drummer playing a good set live - you need it.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Garry Sharp
    Toad Rush - bass needs more watts than guitar to achieve the same volume as it has to movr more air - rule of thumb is three to four times. Completely agree 3-400W is insane at home, but with a good drummer playing a good set live - you need it.
    so what would be a reasonable level for home recording for bass? i figure 25-50 W for guitar would work.

Thanks

for guitar....

a killer setup would be a Mesa Boogie mark 4, 100 watt with a 60 watt switch... cuts the power in half, more or less....

a single 12" would work, then having a 4x12 to add as you need the volume.......

bass, 200 watts at least, for live.....
    if you bi-amp, you can split the watts up accordingly, and use the lower wattage power amp for the studio.....

for just studio, get a good direct box, ala sansamp.

Thread Information