Tips on playing guitar in the cold weather?

my hands are cold witch is hindering my ability to play guitar as well, and asking my dad to turn up the heat is like asking Hitler to release the Jews. any of you guys have any tips for playing under these conditions?

my hands are cold witch is hindering my ability to play guitar as well, and asking my dad to turn up the heat is like asking Hitler to release the Jews. any of you guys have any tips for playing under these conditions?
one thing is to keep a hair dryer handy.
It's THE quickest way to warm up cold fingers.

I'm mostly a live player ( 4-7 gigs a week) and I play lots of outside gigs.
I've gotten to where I just keep a blow dryer in my cord box.

too soon dude.

i don't know, i live in S. California...it has been kinda cold lately like around 65.

Doing some heat conservation this morning (55-58 I expect) -keeping that right pinky tucked in when it wasn't being used
:D

Yeah, if playing a gig in the cold, things like THESE are invaluable. But, it sounds like dad needs to turn up the heat. Just get a hairdryer like Lt. Bob suggested for temporary fix. Or go buy a used small ceramic heater at a thrift store, and stash it behind your amp. Dad won't notice if he don't see it right? :)

Do several Townsend-style windmills with each arm before you start, really let each arm swing freely at the shoulder...it forces blood into the hands and 5 minutes later they will feel warm.
It's an old skiing trick...works great.

The other thing is to just "warm up" by simply playing the guitar. Do some scales/runs...eventually your hands should warm up, unless your father is keeping you room cool like a meat locker...which isn't all that great for the guitars, either.

Tell him the money he's spent on the gear will go to waste if the cold ruins the gear. :)

Do several Townsend-style windmills with each arm before you start, really let each arm swing freely at the shoulder...it forces blood into the hands and 5 minutes later they will feel warm.
It's an old skiing trick...works great.
blow dryer works better.
and quicker.

Can't have a blow dryer when skiing though.

But anywhere he has lectricity the blow dryer is the way to go. They cost 14 bucks.
Basically instantly warm fingers.
For that matter you can blow it on the large arteries in your neck that carry a lotta blood and your whole body will warm almost instantly also.

Maybe his father won't let him use the blow dryer....if he's trying to conserve energy. :D

Yeah, the dryer is going to do the trick...though the windmills will work anywhere when your hands are cold. Just don't do it unexpectedly in some public place....people will think you are nuts. ;)

those stupid space heaters cost more to run than the whole house furnace. I had a roommate who ran one all night in his cold room and drove our electricity bill through the roof.

I played in a band that practiced in an unheated basement the first winter we were together. We hung plastic up to make a 'room', and used a portable heater. Between songs, we'dall be rubbing our hands together in front of it.

Buy a heater. $20. Your dad will never know you're using it.

tell your father you want to hang up the Christmas lights now, then he'll never notice the extra electricity being used for a heater or hair dryer.

Back