Things that make me go hmm...

notCardio

I walk the line
A lot of guys sand the back of their guitar necks, but I don't know that I've ever seen this done on an acoustic.

Why is that? Or have I just not noticed?

These are the kind of random thoughts that pop into my head out of nowhere.

Why do they sand them...or also acoustics...?

It's to remove the finish, since some people find it makes moving their hand up/down the neck harder (the clear finish combined with damp hands, makes for a stickier combination.

I've always preferred that bit of "tackiness" that you get out of the clear finishes, and would never sand them off. I find that it helps to anchor your hand better, and I never noticed any impediment to moving up/down the neck...but then, I've never had a problem with clammy hands...if anything, I'll use some hand lotion just to get a bit of moistness on my hands...I think I can play better than when my hands are super dry and slippery.

Same thing with the baby powder thing on the neck/hands...I never did that.

Hey, whatever works...but I wonder how many guys do it just because they read someone else does that. :)

It would never have crossed my mind to do anything like that. I've not ever noticed a difficulty in getting up and down the neck.

Some do it just to dull the gloss. Light to heavy sanding to remove the finish, or something lighter like a Scotch-Brite pad.

I would never do that either. The factory finishes have never impeded my playing.

Some stand on one leg when soloing too - If it makes them feel better, they play better. I cannot think why I would do it to any of my guitars!

Well, I've done it and it's a pretty common practice among the guys I know. I find it unusual that NONE of you have done it. I've done the baby powder thing too.

I just thought it was odd that I've never seen anyone do it to an acoustic.

Well, I've done it and it's a pretty common practice among the guys I know. I find it unusual that NONE of you have done it. I've done the baby powder thing too.

I just thought it was odd that I've never seen anyone do it to an acoustic.

I'm lucky to have very dry hands, my guitars stay very clean. I had a friend who's hands were so oily I wouldn't let him play my guitar. When I picked up his Strat I was like "When's the last time you cleaned this thing ?" He definitely should have used baby powder. (Not saying your hands are greasy dude) But it is interesting how that can make a difference.

Back