Telecasters

rushfan33

I'm looking for a good sounding guitar that can do a heavy rock sound to a nice clean tone. Would a tele be that guitar?
Thanks,
RF

I'm not sure about heavy but it has a great clean tone. I have a cheapo squier tele which has a humbucker at front at it works great for harder stuff too.

Try one out...

:D
Riku

mine is this one
http://www.squierguitars.com/gear/gear.php?partno=0321300

The next line up would be Mexican fenders and the USA Fender....
better parts and electris, better finnishing... If you're shopping for a cheapo tele like me try out like 10 of them, there might be differences between individuals. Mine is an excelent axe comparing to it's price which was about 200 euros brand new.

Riku

I have a '72 Tele. Very clean tone. I put a Seymore Duncan stacked humbucking in the bridge position and it can get fairly nasty. It wouldn't be my first choice for tuning down to C and shreading though.

Attachments

• thisis~1.jpg
    thisis~1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 50
Track Rat said:
I have a '72 Tele. Very clean tone. I put a Seymore Duncan stacked humbucking in the bridge position and it can get fairly nasty. It wouldn't be my first choice for tuning down to C and shreading though.

That's a nice one...

For lean and clean you can't beat a Tele for sure. For heavy stuff, it takes some tweaking but you can get there. MY 85 MIJ Tele has really thin sounding pickups but with enough compression and gain i get get some good screams out of it. I love the sound of an overdriven tele in the neck position, something about it is so distinctive.

Before you go buying a cheapo Fender check out some old Peavey tele copies. I have an old "Reactor" that's American made and mostly high quality (some of the hardware sux), the pickups are better than my fender and the neck is a supurb one piece maple job. You can pick one up for under $200 almost anywhere, very underappreciated. It would give you a chance to "try out" the telecaster sound/feel without buying into the whole overpriced Fender thing.

This is the Tele that would be perfect for both clean and heavy rock tones....

http://www.musiccentre.co.uk/guitars/fender/fender_72_tele_custom_thinline.htm

The '72 Tele Thinline Reissue covers it all, and there's no need to upgrade your pick-ups.
The sustain on this guitar is incredible, you can get a note to hang f-o-r-e-v-e-r.
It must be a combination of good wood and that F-hole that does it.

Just plug it in and play.
I guarantee that you won't be dissappointed! ;)

There are two bands that hailed from Richmond VA

One was called Breadwinner (the grandaddys of Math rock)
The other was Sliang Laos (spellings were inconsistant)

Both of these bands used Telecasters, exclusivly and were two of the heaviest sludgiest bands you will ever hear.

Captain Beefheart's guys-Gary Lee Lucas and Robert Mid-nite hatsize get my vote for the most wirey clean Tele sound

My point is that any guitar can do what you need it to do if you beat it right.

Just my two bits

This is the Tele that would be perfect for both clean and heavy rock tones....

That is frickin sweeeeet! :cool:

I won't get a Squier for sure even though they are cheap. I wanna buy it just once so it needs to be pretty good. I already have an Ibenez Sabre that's got the good heavy tone.

Are the $325 Teles any good?
Thanks
RF

A friend of mine has a mexi-tele standard w/ a modification to the bridge and a Mexi-Thinline and they are both excellent guitars I dont think he paid over $400 for either one.

Both Les Pauls and Tele's are great, but they do vastly different things. I have a LP, and the only other guitar I would buy is a tele'

Gotta love tele's-I have a cheapo tele-still sounds great-clean-dirty or in between. Just watch for quality on the cheaper ones-the saddles on mine drop all the time-even during the course of a gig theyll fall down lol. Btw Jimmy Page used a tele on zep's first album!!

... and anyone know how to make a guitar sound like Brian May in "God save the Queen" ? I'm into Les Paul so much, can it handle that ? How to get close to that ?

Well I guess you know-Brian only plays his homemade guitar-I believe it has burns pickups-but if you can get your hands on a vox amp-that would be a good start. They are excellent sounding amps that have a very distinctive sound, almost like a built in compression-a joy to play through but a little on the expensive side.

Back