Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Telecasters

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    A 3m ScotchBrite pad is all you need to de-gloss a poly neck. Did it on a Baja and my MIM JB.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleVO View Post
    I am envious. If you are inclined to ship it to North Texas, I will be happy to confirm your findings.
    Dale
    They are incredible. I had a 73 SG Custom. Beautiful neck and great pickups.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    A 3m ScotchBrite pad is all you need to de-gloss a poly neck. Did it on a Baja and my MIM JB.
    True, but your still playing on polymer. I like the sound and feel of the old maple neck strat's & tele's that have the finish worn off. It seems like its in between the brightness of a polymer maple neck and a darker rosewood neck.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleVO View Post
    I am envious. If you are inclined to ship it to North Texas, I will be happy to confirm your findings.
    Dale
    Well.........if youre ever in south Florida..........Id be glad to let you give it a try.
    Just A Song Writer..........

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Enjoy the one you've got. Play the other when you get a chance. See if you like it better.

Thanks
    Some interesting and valid comments here.......BUT from my experience (with Tele's), I have a '96 Tele Plus, the version with 3 lace sensors and additional switching.

The owner of the major local music store had it shipped up from Fender Aust., just for me and let me take it home along with one they had in stock to try out so a friend who's a far better player than me sat down to compare them. First thing we did was sit them side by side in stands and strum them acoustically and listen for differences..........this was like a light bulb moment, they were significantly different, one had a more "country" twang, the other a smoother balance sound and all this translated through an amp. The differences HAD to be in the timber!

I had no hesitation going for the "smoother" sound...........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _j8f0499-jpg  
    --- Humans are analogue beings ---

--- Digital information lasts forever......or maybe five years...............................Which ever comes first. ---

Thanks
    after reading ALL comments and opinions i figured i would chime in. first off if you are happy that is most important. but i have to say most comments that i read are half truth or half false. for instance being a long time telecaster player myself and a player of 50 years, i can tell the difference. amps for instance will only "alter the natural tone" of a given guitars tonality. wood used does in fact give a tonal characteristic. a lighter wood is going to be thinner with less "sustain" many players will order their tele in "ash". don't confuse maple "neck" with maple or rosewood "fretboard" all so called "maple necks" have either a maple fret board or rosewood. rosewood tends to be a litter "darker" are less "bright" ...i tend to like the rosewood for instance as the maple fretboards are much "brighter or treble" sounding while tele's alone are all ready very bright sounding. wood DOES gtive a tonal charecteristic even though it is electrified. Pickups are different as night and day. a custom shop hand wound pickup for instance is going to have more consistant tone than say a MIJ or MIM pickup. unless it's a custom MIJ, the cheaper pickups often have microphonic noise associated with them and you'll find yourself needing a noise suppressor if you plan to record with it. Nut material also effects sustain...plastic bone imitation, bone, brass or even Micarta all have a sustain length to them. take all levels of teles side by side play an open note usually a d string at standard tuning and pluck it and count how many seconds before the note dies off at same volume settings or even better yet "unplugged" ...there will be a difference. any amp can "curve" tonality. but say go from a tube amp and a solid state with that tele it will change the tone... but all being said tone can and will be effected but materials used. Sure i may sound like a "TELE snob" but i am not ...just bearing some truth to the subject. I have strats and teles mostly American made, a 67 telecaster and have long been a fender guy. i have 1 very collectable 50th anniversary double pearl body binding on white pearl guard gold hardware MIJ custom telecaster and love it. have also owned Gibson Les Pauls and SG's, Charvels, but nothing like a Fender... i have played professionally for years both live and studio... but all being said ...welcome to enjoy your entrance to the land of Tele owners..enjoy!!!double-axe-jpgfender-telecaster-1967-jpg0205151932-00-jpgfender-mustang-jpgdsc00032-jpgkatrina-benefit-sidewinder-jpgguitar-solo-time-katrina-benefit-jpg 38794-jpg

---------- Update ----------
    Last edited by kevin6string; 05-05-2019 at 21:27. Reason: doubled my input

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin6string For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the input on the Teles, and sharing pics of that nice collection. This new Tele CV is going to do this ol'55 year old, for a while. I have to say that I am pretty pleased my my cheap, steal.
    Dale

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DaleVO For This Useful Post:

Thread Information