Telecasters

DaleVO

Poor Farm Productions
A while back, CoolCat was testing Tele-s and it increased my GAS for one. After much research, I've been searching for a steal-of-a-deal, as a cheap start to the Tele-world, and finally landed a pristine, Fender Squier 50s Tele Classic Vibe (Butterscotch). I've only had it for a few days, did my DIY setup, and it plays/feels great, except getting used to the high-gloss neck.

Today, I received the GC ad, for the Fender Special Edition Ash, at $550. So, I pull the specs and lay them side-by-side. The only differences I see are Pine vs. Ash, flipped controls, Alnico 5 on Squier vs. "two Hot Standard Tele Single-Coil" pups on the SE. Other than those listed differences, I see these as identical guitars in every other way.

To the Tele-experts on the forum, am I missing something that makes the SE regularly $300(msrp) more in price? [Squier $399 vs. SE $699]
Dale

You are reading specs, not playing or listening. My personal feeling from the two I've had, is that the body wood isn't quite so important on a tele, but the pickups are. People are always asking which sounds best and plays best - and everything contributes. The most expensive does not always win the battle. My Fender Strat, for example - I have a lovely MIA Strat, and it sounds OK, but I play the older more battered tele because I like it better. I have two Les Pauls - the most expensive looks better, probably has a higher resale value if I ever sell it, but I play the plainer looking one because it feels nicer. Price means little. I've got no real evidence, but I don't think the country of origin makes much difference now in the quality stakes - you hear reports of poor finish and poor assembly on the big make premium ranges. I'm also not totally convinced that the word 'made' means what we think. Assembled or put together, or finished I think may be more accurate. The premium instruments now seem to be made by the smaller manufacturers - who make guitars that follow the body shape, but just look and play better. Fret King, for example. You see these played by guitarists who had Fenders, Gibsons and PRS, and now have something more refined and special. I've bought lots of guitars as kind of investments, and they sit on the wall, and I don't play them. I play a Fender American Jazz in my band - but my best bass is a Peavey!

Yeah.....I agree with rob. You may be reading too much. I assume you tried out a number of different Tele models at GC maybe...........as part of your research to check sound and feel? To me the best "feel" is important.....to a point. The best sound is more difficult to tell when you're not using your own amp....etc......although a crappy sound is easy to hear. Anyway.........there will be MANY ads and MANY opinions about the differences between what you bought and.....well.......what you could have bought. I think that's how GAS begins. If you're happy....then you made the right decision. Enjoy it!!!

To the Tele-experts on the forum, am I missing something that makes the SE regularly $300(msrp) more in price? [Squier $399 vs. SE $699]
Dale

I think the guys in accounting and sales are putting the price tags on these days. I'm pretty sue a "Limited Edition" would cost even more.

I have a Fender Tele from 2015. It cost $1300 and it was made in America. Probably assembled in San Diego by guys from Mexico with work permits. They may have even painted the body in Mexico to avoid OSHA standards.
The made in America thing is largely a vestige of the 1970's before the global economy took over and before capitalism got innovative. The only place it makes a real difference is in resale and perception. And if you are buying instruments based on those factors, you are probably laying out at least two grand for something that will be worth two grand in ten years. So I wouldn't sweat the difference for anything under $1,000. Just slap some stickers on it an pretend you're Joe Strummer. Or Carl Perkins if you prefer. :D

Thanks for chiming in guys. I am pleased with my purchase. [MENTION=160917]Mickster[/MENTION]: It's my first Tele to play. After reading all of the info that CoolCat posted regarding the different necks and all that he experienced, along with my research, just affirmed what I was looking for in playability (med jumbo frets 9.5"radius). I am, by no means, proficient enough to notice the intricacies. I do know- I like the feel of my LP neck and sought one that was similar. My 'neck-handling' experience only involves a few guitars -an old Martin D35 and LP, Fender acoustic, a Schecter Hellraiser FR, which I am not super-fond of the narrow neck, but is fun to tinker.

[MENTION=178786]rob aylestone[/MENTION]: My curiosity mostly arose because of the price difference between the Squier and the SE Deluxe, when all I could see was the body, and possibly, Pup differences. This Squier is pristine and came with HSC, for 1/2 the price. Therefore, I have already enjoyed my $250-worth of Tele sound. It is quite spanky, on my Bandit SilverStripe, and gritty when I want, as well. [MENTION=21794]dwillis45[/MENTION]: For the price, I am impressed by the build-quality. So, now to learn some of those Brad Paisley/ Carl Perkins-licks and chicken-pickin'.
Dale

DaleVO........I have a 1976 LP Custom that has the best neck feel and playability I’ve ever encountered in 50 years of playing guitar. Over those 50 years of trying other guitars and other LP’s as well........I’ve never found another like it. I have 7 guitars now and have had others along the way.

Some may not agree, but IME most of the sound of an electric guitar comes from the amp. Especially true of single coil pickup guitars and Tele's in particular. As others have pointed out, playability is both personal and the first priority(which relies somewhat on construction/finishing of details such as fret wire, etc.), second, with an electric guitar, is pickups. The rest seems to come from your hands and your amp choices

it plays/feels great, except getting used to the high-gloss neck.

[Squier $399 vs. SE $699]
Dale

It's going to lower the value, but you can remove the gloss finish with a razor blade. My friend and I have done several. We both prefer maple necks with no gloss. When you are done you apply linseed oil. (and every time you change the strings) In a year the neck will look great.

Get back to me before you try it. (if you should decide).

Especially true of single coil pickup guitars and Tele's in particular. As others have pointed out, playability is both personal and the first priority(which relies somewhat on construction/finishing of details such as fret wire, etc.), second, with an electric guitar, is pickups.

Does anyone know which Pups come with the SE Deluxe? I know the Squier CV -Butterscotch has the Alnico 5s. But I cannot find anything about the ones on the SE Deluxe.

[MENTION=196554]Gtoboy[/MENTION] - you mentioned the fret wires. I can say the Squier CV frets are really well done and smooth. In fact, it makes me think my LP made need some fret wire shaping, as it is not as smooth as the Tele.
Dale

DaleVO........I have a 1976 LP Custom that has the best neck feel and playability I’ve ever encountered in 50 years of playing guitar. Over those 50 years of trying other guitars and other LP’s as well........I’ve never found another like it. I have 7 guitars now and have had others along the way.

I am envious. If you are inclined to ship it to North Texas, I will be happy to confirm your findings. :guitar:
Dale

A 3m ScotchBrite pad is all you need to de-gloss a poly neck. Did it on a Baja and my MIM JB.

True, but your still playing on polymer. I like the sound and feel of the old maple neck strat's & tele's that have the finish worn off. It seems like its in between the brightness of a polymer maple neck and a darker rosewood neck.

Enjoy the one you've got. Play the other when you get a chance. See if you like it better.

Some interesting and valid comments here.......BUT from my experience (with Tele's), I have a '96 Tele Plus, the version with 3 lace sensors and additional switching.

The owner of the major local music store had it shipped up from Fender Aust., just for me and let me take it home along with one they had in stock to try out so a friend who's a far better player than me sat down to compare them. First thing we did was sit them side by side in stands and strum them acoustically and listen for differences..........this was like a light bulb moment, they were significantly different, one had a more "country" twang, the other a smoother balance sound and all this translated through an amp. The differences HAD to be in the timber!

I had no hesitation going for the "smoother" sound...........

Attachments

• _J8F0499.JPG
    _J8F0499.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 21
after reading ALL comments and opinions i figured i would chime in. first off if you are happy that is most important. but i have to say most comments that i read are half truth or half false. for instance being a long time telecaster player myself and a player of 50 years, i can tell the difference. amps for instance will only "alter the natural tone" of a given guitars tonality. wood used does in fact give a tonal characteristic. a lighter wood is going to be thinner with less "sustain" many players will order their tele in "ash". don't confuse maple "neck" with maple or rosewood "fretboard" all so called "maple necks" have either a maple fret board or rosewood. rosewood tends to be a litter "darker" are less "bright" ...i tend to like the rosewood for instance as the maple fretboards are much "brighter or treble" sounding while tele's alone are all ready very bright sounding. wood DOES gtive a tonal charecteristic even though it is electrified. Pickups are different as night and day. a custom shop hand wound pickup for instance is going to have more consistant tone than say a MIJ or MIM pickup. unless it's a custom MIJ, the cheaper pickups often have microphonic noise associated with them and you'll find yourself needing a noise suppressor if you plan to record with it. Nut material also effects sustain...plastic bone imitation, bone, brass or even Micarta all have a sustain length to them. take all levels of teles side by side play an open note usually a d string at standard tuning and pluck it and count how many seconds before the note dies off at same volume settings or even better yet "unplugged" ...there will be a difference. any amp can "curve" tonality. but say go from a tube amp and a solid state with that tele it will change the tone... but all being said tone can and will be effected but materials used. Sure i may sound like a "TELE snob" but i am not ...just bearing some truth to the subject. I have strats and teles mostly American made, a 67 telecaster and have long been a fender guy. i have 1 very collectable 50th anniversary double pearl body binding on white pearl guard gold hardware MIJ custom telecaster and love it. have also owned Gibson Les Pauls and SG's, Charvels, but nothing like a Fender... i have played professionally for years both live and studio... but all being said ...welcome to enjoy your entrance to the land of Tele owners..enjoy!!!DOUBLE AXE.JPGFender Telecaster 1967.jpg0205151932-00.jpgFender Mustang.jpgDSC00032.JPGKatrina Benefit - SideWinder.jpgGuitar solo time @ Katrina Benefit.jpg 38794.jpg:listeningmusic::guitar:

---------- Update ----------
:listeningmusic::guitar:

Last edited:
Thanks for the input on the Teles, and sharing pics of that nice collection. This new Tele CV is going to do this ol'55 year old, for a while. I have to say that I am pretty pleased my my cheap, steal.
Dale

Back