Technique, Baby, Technique!

You mean there is more than one way to press a string down on a fret and pluck the string?

Huh. I'll be darn.

I recently rotated my pick to use the round edges and found that retraining is necessary.

For 20 years I've been a sharp end pick user. Hell of a time to change eh?

I have always used the round end of the pick for about 15 years and just lately started to use the sharp end.Its really a challenge trying new picking techniques with a "longer" pick.

Not kidding.The round end gives me a faster attack and the sound isnt as bright as the normal "long" way.

Ginzoo said:
Not kidding.The round end gives me a faster attack and the sound isnt as bright as the normal "long" way.

I have also found it to be less intense of a sound. It really smoothes the pick attack for me, lets to note shine through verses a harsh pick attack.

I picked it up off of a well known artist. Thank you DVD!

YOU GUYS GET IT!

and you practice these things, and change these things, to expand your technique.....

then when you record, you absolutely don't think about it at all......

and it becomes expression!

GONZO-X,I never really thought about it that way...I just considered it the warm and cold sounds that you can get by turning your pick around.:)
Also the round end makes intense riffing easier when needed.

Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top uses a quarter. I'll bet he was ass out a pick when he started doing that. I like to to use a Bic lighter for a slide. No ghetto trick too cheap, y'all.

I'm so thrilled that after 40 years of playing, somebody finally let me in on the secret! All this time, I thought I had technique. I guess it was just beginners luck! :D

actually, crawdad, it's up to your peer group to decide whether or not you have it!

there's lots of delusions of grandeur available.........

and lot's of beginners' luck!

;)

but at the same time, it's nice to get a kick in the pants now and again, to keep us all still pushing the envelope, and not settling in for the ride...........

I have been using every edge and angle on my picks for years. I have experimented with(don't laugh) altering my picks for example, I'll drill about 3 holes using a 3/32 bit in the center of a pick for better grip (sweaty fingers) or scuffing up with sandpaper. I often use both long and short edges in a single number by spinning the pick while playing and the holes prevent slipping. For a soft sweeping strum, try pinching the short end level with your thumb and index finger nail using all three while strumming. Altering your picking posture could feel odd at first but stick with it. It's a whole new world of tones to explore. Good luck.

vintagedrive,I also drill holes in my picks to avoid slipping.I have a couple of picks that I held a few inches over a candle. When they were sort of pliable I squeezed just hard enough so they would form to my finger and thumb making it a perfect fit.These have the coolest sounding attack of all.They do look a little weird being curved and all.:)

Ginzoo, that sounds interesting. You don't have a problem with a bent pick, the portion of surface making string contact that is. Personally, I like my picks flat. I purchase them by the gross and go through each one. I give away about 20% that are not flat. I prefer using .50mm Tortex Standard by Dunlop. Do you play with the bend of the pick facing up or down?

The bend is facing up and the round end is hitting the strings.Even though its bent the pick seems more rigid than normal.Kind of like a heavy guage sound.
Playing on the long side it sounds like a super lite pick because of the angle of attack.Strumming is really smooth on this side.

Back