Taylor's soundport cutaway..?

I didn't like the design when I saw it. If you are playing way up the neck (hand in the cutaway area), wouldn't that block any sound from the port? I can understand the upper bout soundport for players trying to hear their guitar better, but a soundport for recording or audience seems like a gimmick.

The portal design hit me the same way and I'm still undecided.

Since the guitar and port were designed to manipulate specific frequencies, it may be that the port doesn't involve those higher frequencies up the neck. That may not be the case.. dunno. The sound inside the body is directed in a similar way as the Bose radio's.. that's one comment made in a review. I did notice from the video clip that this model has a larger body and produces deeper tones from that soundport. I'd prefer it just a teeny bit brighter myself.

It could be a gimmick - one of those 'let's do this because we can' things.

I hear a difference between cut away and full back designs and it seems that this is an attempt to get a full back type sound while still allowing a somewhat better access to the higher frets-for limited use anyway. I would think the port part is a bit of a gimmick, however i would have to play it in person to better judge.

Back