Tales of strange experiments of the POD XT variety

GONZO-X

yes, spent all weekend (well, not all, i did go skiing for closing day) experimenting with my POD xt.......

you know, the speaker modeling and mic modeling and all that is pretty cool....

they've really got that down pretty good.......

but, i just had to see what it sounded like going through my mesa.....

so, i set it up through the parameters for sending it to a power amp/speaker combination......

nd at first, i thought geez, this sounds awfully bright......

see, the way this thing sets up is, you can run it direct to recorder, or into a power amp, or into the front of a guitar amp (set as neutral and clean as you can get it.....)

and when you send it to a power amp, it retains it's "speaker models" as the default........

in other words, you can switch to all the different (22 of em) speaker models, and play that through your actual speaker......or you can shut them off entirely, so that only the virtual amp head is running through your rig........

now, i'm running through a single 12" enclosure right now, with a british series Carvin 75 watter (kinda celestion like in sound), so putting a 4x12 boogie rectifier cabinet through that sounds pretty neat......

but, as i experiemented, i turned off the speaker part, and bam!

Sonic Nirvana.

so now, i think the sweetest sound this thing has, is to use the amp models as the "preamp" (and also the effects sound good this way.....)

My favorites, through the rig, are the fender blackface deluxe models, and the marshall plexi-jump, and the variac, and for solo tones, the soldano slo-100..........

after 3 more days of experimentation...

i think this machine is really sweet, for being a tone generator....

bypass all the goodies, like the speaker, mic, effects, stomps, gates........

and just get down to the basic amp models.....

and that, cranked through the power section of the boogie, is the shit.

much more powerful of a tone generator than the boogies' preamp section, or any rack mounted tube preamp i've used in the past.....

Yo Gonzo, try leaving the cab model engaged, and jack the lie out into a powered near field monitor. Then put the best mic you got in the near field and record it. Flat response, no noise, moves air, and it's quiet...Richie

Back