Taking care of my jap strat

lazyboy

The guitar collection thread got me thinking...
I have an 84-87(??) Jap strat Contemporary edition. You know, the one with 22 frets, fender locking trem, all single coils. I've had it for about 9 yrs. I figure its high time to treat it a little better than just the three truss-rod adjustments its had.

Its a bit noisy, so I was thinking I should shield the electronics. Despite the fact that I've been playing for a long time, I've never gotten into doing my own mods. Is this easy enough to do at home? Or how much should I pay to have it done?

Two other things: Pros and cons of a stacked humbucker in the bridge position or other alternative. I've read that some of you don't like 'em. Something I should know? The stock is just a bit too brittle, though I like the middle and neck.
And how about locking tuners? Brands? This thing's got a pretty shitty lock behind the nut that is generally a pain in the ass, and looks like an afterthought. I'd like to get rid of it.

Bluebook appraises this thing at about $250, so it not like I'll be killing a collectors item, though I'm not gonna take a router to it either (Why do people insist on making choppers out of 60's Triumph Bonnevilles?). I just want to take care of it.
Any recommendations, experiences, warnings?

Back