Stupid Question re pickups

Nola

Hey guys.

I don't like my stock Jazzmaster pickups, so I bought some SD Antiquities (version 1) used. I took both out of the box to look at them, and then when I went to put them back I realized I have no idea which is the neck and which is the bridge. How would I figure this out? Thanks!

If you have an ohm meter check the restistance. Bridge should be higher.
Sometimes the lead on the neck is longer. I'm suprised they're not marked.
In absence of either two options, install them. If the neck is loud as all hell, swap em :D

Thanks, man! They were marked on the box but not the pickup itself, and then I had them both out so lost track.

They measure 8.2k and 8.6k, so the latter is the bridge. SD website says 8.2k for neck and 8.4k for bridge, so these seem to be working well for used pickups.

Do I need to worry about polarity with these? I've heard the concept and know you can mess things up, but don't know much at all about it. Is it an issue for all pickups? If so I guess I better get reading before installing.

Should just be a two wire setup. White and black cloth wiring. Black is ground.
Antiquitys are usually vintage replicas.

On the ohmage readings, it can fluctuate with temp. But at any rate, yeah, higher reading =bridge.

Should just be a two wire setup. White and black cloth wiring. Black is ground.
Antiquitys are usually vintage replicas.

Yes, exactly, so just swap 'em in and not worry about polarity/phase, etc? They're both SDs and from what I read in those cases you're fine just swapping.

Cool, thanks!

Let us know how you like the Antiquities. I've got the 60's Surf ones in my Strat.

Will do, Robus. Probably will swap the tomorrow.
Loved how they sounded on this YT. Mine sound exactly like his stock -- (overly?) bright and glassy. I love the rounder sound of the Antiquities.

YouTube

Unless you want that out of phase sound when both are on, just wire black to ground, and white is hot. You'll be fine. No issues.
(Provided you don't do crap soldering)
:D

Unless you want that out of phase sound when both are on, just wire black to ground, and white is hot. You'll be fine. No issues.
(Provided you don't do crap soldering)
:D

Thanks, boss. Speaking of, there's a glob of solder on the joint...looks like Joe-the-Seller did that because I can't imagine SD soldering that badly. The multimeter read connectivity just fine, so I guess it's okay, but it looks like shit. Worth redoing? I don't want to risk damaging the pickup with heat unless it's worth it.

There's also a stray piece of frayed copper. Was thinking I should cut the wire back and get a better piece. Any advice on either/both?

It's critical to stress the low end of the kick with EQ. In the event that you feel there isn't sufficient bass to your kick drum, a low racking lift around 80 – 100 Hz typically works.

Back