strings for a 1/2 size Classical guitar

carsoste

I have a beautiful 1/2 size classical guitar (It's small almost like a miniaturized or shrunken guitar.) that I bought a few years ago. Since, it's not my main guitar I haven't had to replace its strings until now. It did not come with any new strings and it was a gift so I wasn't in the store when it was purchased. Since my previous strings for it were nylon, I should probably get nylon strings this time. But, I'm somewhat uncertain about the size or the gague of strings that I should get. So, what would be the right size or gague of strings that I should get for this guitar? If anyone out there might know I would really appreciate your suggestions.
Thanks.
carsoste

Compare the guage of strings for a tenor guitar to that of a full-scale 6-string, for a start on going larger or smaller string guage. Of course, NEVER put steel strings on a guitar made for nylon- you will destroy it in no time.

Thanks

Hi:
Thank you for the link and the suggestions. Don't worry I would never put steel strings on a classical guitar.

I would imagine D'Addario normal tensions would be just fine. However, some folks think the g string int those sets are a bit clunky (I tend to agree). I knew one dude who would buy d'addario sets and savarez g strings in quantity. We were both classical guitar majors are Florida State so we changed our strings at least once a week.

Would a 1/2 size guitar be the same as a parlor guitar? Parlor sized guitars are usually tuned a bit higher (a 5th maybe?) to account for the shorter scale length and the resulting slack in the strings when tuned to standard pitch. So if you want your 1/2 size guitar tuned to standard pitch, you might have to find a non-standard matching of strings to keep proper string tension. Either that or have really, really loose strings and weird action/intonation.

Come to think of it, what the heck do people with 1/2 and 3/4 scale guitars do when they want to be in standard tuning? When I played 3/4 scale guitars I had no idea about action or intonation so I was oblivious to the fact that steel strings on a 3/4 scale classical resulted in action 1/2" off the 12th fret (and luckily not a ripped-off tailpiece). I just thought it was hard to play guitar :)

Back