split personality?

Dom Franco:

Good idea on the forum suggestion. I've been thinking that this place needs a few boards for aspects of music other than recording. Of course this is homerecording.com ....but there's so much more to recording music than technical jargon and equipment reviews. There's that personal side that we all like to talk about...stories and ideas that revitalize ambition.

Anyway, I think that a General Discussion forum would really take care of a lot of "I didn't know where to post this" messages. Maybe a whole new group of topics like the ones you suggested would be in order.

I tell ya what, that MP3 Mixing clinic has really inspired me at times. Hearing someone else describe their recording technique...and then downloading their tunes...it really drives me to keep working. And posts like this one by Rockit Recorder have the same effect.

I guess my point is that if this place is the "university" of home recording...then we need a student lounge :)

Rockit Recorder:

Great post. I went through a similar situation in which I didn't play the guitar much or write any music for about 2 years while living with a woman. "lot's of people talking/few of them know/the soul of a woman was created below" :) However, I got me a new woman now who is actually HELPING me to seriously get back into it. I think that you have to be very carefull with your love-life if you're going to play music. You need to look for the woman who doesn't flinch at your "wall of guitars."

Must be ten times harder for a woman as men are typically more insecure. I can't imagine my girlfriend staying up until 3 in the morning while I'm sleeping. I guess that's why all female musicians are lesbians.

Sheesh, I'm just kidding :)

Slackmaster 2000

Suggestion for new Forum Topic: GROUP THERAPY.

Good afternoon everyone, I’d like to introduce a new member to our group, His name is Alan.
Alan, would you like to take a seat, and tell us a little about yourself.
Remember Alan, we are all friends here.

“Nervous cough” Well I guess it all started when I was about 13, I used to spend hours in my bedroom on my own. First it was sketching, then painting, but when I started to write poems, that’s when it got real serious! Endless observations on a life I had not yet lived.
Then came my first big mistake, I started to listen to music, weird and intoxicating stuff by groups like Cream, Free, Led Zepp and the like. I guess I knew then I was hooked.
So came the obsession with guitars, amps, and any other piece of equipment that would help with my need for self-expression. I just never seemed to have enough, I couldn’t stop myself. First it was a WEM Copycat (For you younger people in the group, that’s like a digital delay that runs with tape and fossil fuel). Even when I got the one thing in the world I wanted more than anything else. (Les Paul) my obsession would turn to something else.
My sense of logic and reason went straight out the window.
The Band strategy discussion’s in the bar, used to go like this:
“Hey Alan I was talking to John today and he said he wants to be in the band”
“But he can’t play worth shit, and his singing is worse”
“Yeah but is parents are loaded and you wanna see the Marshall stack he’s just got”
“HE’S IN”
Blah…..blah …..blah…………..

TWO HOURS LATER:

So you see Doc if I’d have met the women I’m with now, twenty years ago. Things would have been so much easier.

“So things are much better for you now Alan ?”

SHIT NO ! if anything it’s worse. Now I earn good money, no mortgage the kids have left home, and five years ago I started to get into computers. Doc you should see what you can do now with a good PC its f*#%ing AWESOME!
Did I tell you about all the new gear I just bought……Blah…..blah …..blah.

“Oh my God, this is worse than I thought”

Catch my drift ?????
This is a great thread and line of discussion. Its just good to know I’m not alone.
Maybe we could have an “Excuse of the week” section, so that we could help each other out.
You know, this worked for me. Or, for Gods sake don’t try this.

Alan :)

Back