Some custom guitar wiring help?

scottmd06

I just finished building a strat-style guitar that will have one humbucker pickup (passive), one volume knob, and the output jack. How would I properly wire and ground this setup? The pickup is a Seymour Duncan JB for the bridge. Thanks!

Thanks! I'm not sure how to ground to the bridge since I didn't go with a trem bridge. Its a solid guitar aside from the "electronic cavity" for the one volume and the bridge is a fixed, top-loading bridge. The bridge will be screwed right down to the face of the guitar and strings enter from openings right on the bridge... How or where would I solder the ground?

Thanks! I'm not sure how to ground to the bridge since I didn't go with a trem bridge. Its a solid guitar aside from the "electronic cavity" for the one volume and the bridge is a fixed, top-loading bridge. The bridge will be screwed right down to the face of the guitar and strings enter from openings right on the bridge... How or where would I solder the ground?

You're gonna have to route from the electronics cavity to right under the bridge, snake the ground wire through, then fray the end of the wire to be in contact with the bridge and screw the bridge down on top of the frayed end of the ground wire. Wow, that was a mouthful, haha. Sounds kinda not so professional but that really the only way to do it. You might be able to solder the end of the ground wire to the bridge, but that's only if you have the right kind of solder and hot enough soldering iron and have enough space for excess wire and solder to sit under the bridge.

Could I run that ground through a small hole and solder it to some of that shielding foil folded over with the other side contacting the underside of the bridge?

Could I run that ground through a small hole and solder it to some of that shielding foil folded over with the other side contacting the underside of the bridge?
Yes you can, but I wouldn't worry about soldering it. The signal you are grounding is so minute that just having the wire touching will do the job.

Back