Solos on Rolling Stones's "Black and Blue"

timmerman

-------------------------
I know most people do not consider "Black and Blue" as one of their greatest moments in the recording studio, however it is a very unusual Stones album in the sense that it contains 2 songs where the solos are played by non-Stones members.

What's Up?

At the moment of recording the Stones were still auditioning new guitarplayers to replace Mick Taylor, among them were Ronnie Wood, Harvey Mandel and Wayne Perkins.

Now the solo on "Hot Stuff" is Harvey, the feel is very similar though to how Keith and Ron play, the notechoice is very different. Keith is just doing the rhythm part in open G there.

The solo on "Hand of Fate" is Wayne Perkins...................eh that is the first one, the second is Keith, just listen closely and you will recognise his favourite phrases which tell me it must be Keith and not Wayne.

Really I love Black and Blue, I have had it since 1979 and what did I know then who played what. One of the reasons I like it so much is for those two solos, especially the one on "Hand of Fate": Just minor pentatonic, but give it to someone who can play and it comes out so differently!

I cannot think of any other Stones albums where there are solos from non-members, also I cannot think of any solos on Stones albums who do have such a similar feel. True some of Mick Taylor's stuff is sweet, but different to the two guys I just mentioned. Only wished the Stones did more of this kind of thing as it boost some of the songparts so much.

Anyone else here who likes this album or these players.

If you like Harvey Mandel, you should check out some of his albums before he made this recording with the Stones in 1975, some of it is very sweet and diverse.

Back