Soldering

Kingofpain678

Returned from the dead
I love the smell :D

I spent the past however-long soldering all the electronics in my project guitar. I'm pretty excited since this is the first time this guitar has actually looked like a guitar in over a year. Somehow somewhere at some point I lost the output jack though :(
I was thinking of installing a "killswitch" but I can't do that until I get an output jack (I see a trip to dumbshit guitar center in my future).

Up next is buying a floyd rose for it... Which won't be for quite a while since I have so many other things to do :(

Well there's my update for you all as if anyone cared :laughings::laughings::laughings:

img00113.jpg

Lol @ the 3 per-side tuning pegs on a 6 per-side headstock

img00114u.jpg

No floyd rose yet :(

img00116.jpg

Lol @ the electronics cover being made of card board

img00117a.jpg

electronics cavity with tin foil shielding

Why are you shielding a guitar that has humbuckers?

For shit's and giggles.

This is a bullshit piece of shit guitar that I plan on just jammin on and using as a test subject.

I stuck a dimebucker in the bridge to see if I could get a tone to mix with a beafier bassier tone. Might sound good? who knows...

And what's to keep me from routing out a space for a single coil right in between the 'buckers?
whatever, we'll see how my boredom plays out.

:laughings: :laughings:

It's a total waste of time. Hum.....bucker. They already buck the hum. All that shielding nonsense is for noisy ass single coils.

No it's not, Terra will never think of looking in there for his hat.

Well played kopdude. :D

:laughings:

Time is something I have plenty of, and it's not like it's a terrible inconvenience to tear out tin foil :laughings:

And no duh! as long as I got that foil on my guitar and I'm touching the string THEY won't be able to read my mind.

Maybe I should send it to TM:laughings:

:laughings: :laughings:

It's a total waste of time. Hum.....bucker. They already buck the hum. All that shielding nonsense is for noisy ass single coils.

SM7B has a humbucking coil . . . and is shielded. Hum can get induced at points in the wiring other than the pickup. That's why cables are shielded too . . .

SM7B has a humbucking coil . . . and is shielded. Hum can get induced at points in the wiring other than the pickup. That's why cables are shielded too . . .

Well, see! I figured it couldn't hurt anything and I was right. It might even help a little bit :D

Just cover the whole thing in foil and call it a Terramortim signature edition.

There you go :laughings:

My balanced guitars are great, they are hum-free even when I am not touching them. Yeah, I use humbuckers, those are more important than cavity shielding. But my house is EMI hell, so balancing is key.

My balanced guitars are great

I've thought about doing that before but it seemed like it would be a big pain in the ass.
I figured the easiest way would be to just gut a DI box and make the D.I. box's balanced out the output of the guitar.

I don't know how I'd fit a DI box's components into the electronics cavity though :(

I've thought about doing that before but it seemed like it would be a big pain in the ass.
I figured the easiest way would be to just gut a DI box and make the D.I. box's balanced out the output of the guitar.

I don't know how I'd fit a DI box's components into the electronics cavity though :(

It's just a transformer. If it doesn't fit, break out your router.

Anyway, it's best to have the signal ground isolated from chassis (shielding, bridge) grounds if you're going to feed a trafo.

It's just a transformer. If it doesn't fit, break out your router.

Anyway, it's best to have the signal ground isolated from chassis (shielding, bridge) grounds if you're going to feed a trafo.

I'd like to learn about transformers a little more...
I'll probably go off and redo all of my guitars electronics when I do... oh well.

So before I head off to google, does a transformer take in a positive signal, put out the same positive signal and another identical signal but 180 degrees out of phase?
and does a transformer care if the incoming signal is line level, mic level, etc...

And this thread doesn't belong in the cave :p

So before I head off to google, does a transformer take in a positive signal, put out the same positive signal and another identical signal but 180 degrees out of phase?
and does a transformer care if the incoming signal is line level, mic level, etc..

Almost no guitars today have transformers. I think they should, but guitarists are very traditional, and transformers aren't cheap, so . . .

Transformers transform. That is, they can swap voltage for current and vice versa. In a theoretical perfect transformer, there is no loss such that power in equals power out.

Remember that power is voltage times current. So if you want to increase current, then voltage will drop, and vice versa.

Transformer basics:

- Voltage changes according to the turns ratio (number of turns of wire on each coil)

- Impedance changes according to the square of the turns ratio

Such that if you have a transformer with a 4:1 turns ratio, and you input a signal of 4VAC (transformers will not pass DC between coils), the signal on the other coil will be 1V. However, the output impedance of the secondary will be 1/16th of the output impedance of the device feeding the transformer. Similarly, the device feeding the transformer will "see" a load of 16x the load impedance attached to the secondary. That is a "step-down" transformer, and it's typically what you get in a DI box (although the ratio would be higher, like 15:1)

Transformer also do several other tricks: they can balance or unbalance a signal. They isolate circuits from each other, breaking potential ground loops. They have extremely high "common mode rejection", which means that they are great for unbalancing a balanced line and rejecting all noise that tries to seep into the line. They can act as "phase-splitters" when there is a differential stage that needs to be fed (like a push-pull output). They can isolate DC from a following stage, eliminating the need for coupling capacitors. They don't invert polarity if you don't want them to, but if you do, they can.

I'm not an expert on transformer design, so suffice to say that transformers are designed for specific purposes. Transformers are designed differently according to intended signal level and load. Basically, as signal get stronger and loads get heavier, the transformer needs to get larger or it will a) saturate, which is low frequency distortion or b) melt, which is the insulation on the wires melting and making a big brick of iron and copper. Also, the more DC that you want to flow through a coil (not between coils of course, that doesn't happen), the larger the gap needs to be.

Back