So I'm modding another guitar

fretwire3d

I have a '76 Gretsch 7600 solidbody, which i really like other than the electronics are really stupid (no master tone only a tone switch) and the bridge pickup has no output while the neck has a ton. I like thin sounds, but these are way too thin to play live in my band, being the only guitarist. It's weird that it sounds so thin because I believe they are humbuckers. Anyway, I'm unsatisfied with the tone.

I want a thinner sound, but one that can still drive about as much as a Strat. I'm looking at swapping a couple P-90's into it. I have a 94 MIJ Strat, Gibson Les Paul custom and a Carvin SH-225 hollow body. Will the p-90's give me a noticeably different tone that the other guitars? Can you coin tap P-100's to get a P-90 sound? What other unique pickups would you suggest?

fretwire3d said:
I have a '76 Gretsch 7600 solidbody, which i really like other than the electronics are really stupid (no master tone only a tone switch) and the bridge pickup has no output while the neck has a ton. I like thin sounds, but these are way too thin to play live in my band, being the only guitarist. It's weird that it sounds so thin because I believe they are humbuckers. Anyway, I'm unsatisfied with the tone.

I want a thinner sound, but one that can still drive about as much as a Strat. I'm looking at swapping a couple P-90's into it. I have a 94 MIJ Strat, Gibson Les Paul custom and a Carvin SH-225 hollow body. Will the p-90's give me a noticeably different tone that the other guitars? Can you coin tap P-100's to get a P-90 sound? What other unique pickups would you suggest?

It sounds like your pu's are stuffed, the 60's gretsch's came out with Filtra-tron pu's, these had a distinctive sound, I believe that TV Jones are pretty much replicas, I have seen adverts for them from www.stewmac.com it would be a shame to loose that distinctive sound, try and get it when doing a REM number and you'll know what I mean.
Clive

Yeah, definatly go for the TV Jones pickups. They are quite nice. Almost certainly what you are looking for. They make both vintage replacements and some hot rodded versions.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Well, I pulled everything apart and had a really solid look at the stupid wiring, and found out how stupid it actually is. Each pickup runs through a resister, for some dumb reason, there's no tone knob at all, theres just a "tone switch", which turns the guitar into dull crap.

I spent $350 on this guitar with case, so i decided not to spend another $150-$200 on pickups. I'm going to rewire it and see if i like it. THe pickup only has one ground and one lead wire, so i think that means the two poles are wired in series. Is there any way i can dig in and coil tap?

Back