Small tube amps like Pro Junior

GuineaMcPig

Hi-

I've got a bedroom studio and I want to get a nice overdriven sound without tearing the house down. I've read that small tube amps are the way to go, and have heard people recommend Fender Pro Juniors, Blues Juniors, Vox AC15s, etc. I would love an AC15, but they go for like $800 on eBay nowadays, and I can't afford it. So what other small (under 15 watt) tube amps are out there besides the ones I've mentioned?

Thanks!

~Jordan

I'd like to know about the Goldtone, outlaws. Have you tried it?
McPig, Crate makes a 5 watt EL 84 amp that looks interesting to me for about $300, but I havn't heard it. I'll bet it's pretty good.

I've been researching the same thing. There are a lot of great expensive options, but very few cheap ones. Right now I am leaning towards this..

Has anyone actually played one?

Ok, a question for you guys. I've been looking for the right forum to ask this question. I've always played Fender tube amps (my first real amp was a black face fender super reverb bought new, if you can believe that). My current amp is a 1968 Princeton Reverb (12 watts and it's too loud). I would like a small low wattage amp to give me a different tone, more like Marshall or Vox, a little crunchy. These days I play low volume and mic the amp, and with the Princeton I use an overdrive pedal when needed. And I'm looking for an amp to compliment a Les Paul. What would you suggest?

Last edited:
Did someone say PEAVY? Argh! Run away! Stick with a fender - the smallest wattage tube amp you can find, preferrably used, from fender, won't do you wrong!

Henri Devill said:
Peavy Classic 20..Dirtys up very nicely..sounds good with a Paul..

Totally excellent and completely underrated. And kinda hard to find. Got mine used(Peavey discontinued them) for $150.

Just so you know, my other amps:

1950 Fender Deluxe
1968 Super Reverb
1965 Bandmaster
1968 Ampeg Jet
1972 Twin
50's Gibson GA-20
Some piece of crap I made
Marshall Plexi head

And I really like the Classic 20.

Also everything Aaron posted gets me pretty hot. I've never had the pleasure of trying any of them, but they look frickin' tasty.

Even that Carvin thing and those top-hats look cool.

I love amps.

They have about 2 or 3 used 20's at the local guitar mangeler center...They want in the high 200.00's for them..bastards :eek:..I've dug them and I've had Plexies,JCM800's,Mesa's,Fenders ect...Its funny one of the coolest amps I've ever had was a early 60's Gretch w/two 12's I threw a LPB1 in front and what a sweet sound..Had to be about 20 or 30 watts..Peavey 20's got that kinda vibe....so you never know maybe the Peavey will be a sought after lil' amp down the road and worth sick "champ" money some day

Last edited:
I have a Fender HR Dx, but that is hardly small, it is louder than stink

BUT, I also have a rare little boutique amp by Garnet (out of Winnipeg), who made all the amps that made BTO go over the top. It is 5 W, a 12ax7 in the pre, a 6L6 in the power amp, and a solid state rectifier with a footswitchable lead treble boost that nearly doubles the output volume. It has all of two knobs: volume and tone, and boasts an original NOS 1961 Celestion Alnico 12" speaker.
It is handmade point-to-point wiring, signed by Gar Gillies (the Garnet guru)
And, it is for sale.....

Attachments

• misc 025.jpg
    misc 025.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 112
For great overdriven sounds I'd suggest looking on eBay for a small Gibson
amp from the 50s; they're there all of the time .

I have a Gibson GA-6(15W MAX) that is the same circuit as a Tweed Deluxe
that sounds huge and even bigger on tape.

Depending on the guitar you plug in, and mic placement it's the only amp
I need for rock and roll for recording(or least the kind of recordings I make)

Killer little amp, and I'll never sell it .

I also have a Gibson GA-5T Skylark (1966 with 2x6BQ5, 1x6C4, 1x6EU7 and a Jensen P10R). It uses an interstage transformer for a phase inverter. It's a great little amp. I personally much prefer it to the more constipated sounding Peavey C20 I had several years ago. More of an open blues rock sound that crunches when cranked.

I have a Blues Jr. You can hear it here. Listen to CMF Jam and Bush Funk Jam. That's my Tele through a Route 66 pedal and into the Blues Jr. Miced with an SM58.

Blessings, Terry

Back