that silver thingy....

Bass Freak

what the crap is that silver thingy on the bass.....i hate playing bass with them on it.....you know that pick up cover....what the crap does it do? it just gets in my way, i play all over the bass, from the neck down to the bridge, and it just gets in my way, and when they have both the pickup cover and the bridge cover on it, where the crap do i play????

........im so confused.....:*(

freak

You mean that bar/cover thing over the pickup?... I had a Rick 4001 with one of those on it, I just took the thing off... not sure what the hell it does...

It was used to avoid extra noise and interference reaching the single coil pickups. It didn't work that great, and most players took it off (it was on the early jazzbasses) because it was in their way.

Brett
feel free to visit
www.belgiummp3.be/mp3/Madra_Lyss/

Which silver thingy on which bass? Are you refering to the cover that goes accross the bridge pickup on a Rickenbacker 4001? The ashtray over the bridge on a Fender Bass? What?

yeah...its those silver thingys.

they are on the older bass's, they look awsome, but they get in the way. i thought they made the bass thump more than ring. guess i was wrong

freak

Kelly5150 said:
You mean that bar/cover thing over the pickup?... I had a Rick 4001 with one of those on it, I just took the thing off... not sure what the hell it does...
I had the same thing on my Ric...took it off as well. It got in the damn way! Don't fret...Customize!

'The Guitar Handbook' (yes yes, mock the book if you will) says that the silver thingy is rarely seen on working guitars as most players find that it hinders their technique and beer drinking ability.

I think you'd be fine if you just had another beer.

(source: The Guitar Handbook, p.56, Ralph Denyer 1982, Alfred A. Knopf Inc. Publishing, New York).

i wasnt drinkin......just thinkin

well maybe i was but im not sure

what i cant get is if every one takes them off, and it really doesnt do anything........WHY IS IT THERE?!?!?!?!

freak

It's all about aesthetics silly! Don't tell me you've never asked "Does my fender make my ass look big?"

(maybe it was something they added initially thinking it would do some kinda thing sound wise and it just didn't work out that way?)

Kramer said:
Wow...an alcohol induced post......cool.:D

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shit Kramer! Cut that crap out....
I just leaned back on my chair laughing and I tipped backwards!
I almost broke my freaking head, AND MY KIDS ARE LAUGHING AT ME!!!! AAAAAAAAARGGGHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(this is true, I'm not joking)

My head still hurts, ouch.:confused: :confused:

Where am I........:confused: :confused:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Man,Im sorry!:( LMAO!!!!
Im not laughing at you man.That can be serious.I fell backwards in a chair in highschool leaning back against a wall.I was being all cool leaning back and talking to 2 girls that were sitting beside me.LMAO!That hard tile floor was unforgiving to my cranium.:D

Im sorry man.I hope you didnt get a concussion!:(

Last edited:
Kramer said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Man,Im sorry!:( LMAO!!!!
Im not laughing at you man.That can be serious.I fell backwards in a chair in highschool leaning back against a wall.I was being all cool leaning back and talking to 2 girls that were sitting beside me.LMAO!That hard tile floor was unforgiving to my cranium.:D

Im sorry man.I hope you didnt get a concussion!:(

LOL!!! NAW DUDE, it was just funny as hell!!!!!!
My kids woke this morning and the first thing my son askes me is...
HEY DAD,.... HOWS YOUR HEAD! Then he breaks out and cracks up again.
Then I think to myself.. <Kramer!!>

Believe it or not, the "silver thingy" was put there to limit where you played on the strings. It was to force you to play in the same place for a more even bass sound. It does work if you do much recording. I took mine off, but play in the same place as a matter og habit anyway.

Back