Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound J Bass pickups vs. EMG Active J Bass Pickups Question

Bob's Mods

Has anyone worked with both of these pickups? Could you offer any thoughts or feelings as to which you prefer and why? What were the positives you noticed? What negatives did you discover?

Bob

Has anyone worked with both of these pickups? Could you offer any thoughts or feelings as to which you prefer and why? What were the positives you noticed? What negatives did you discover?

Bob

VERY different pickups. The EMG's are going to be very flat and "hi fi" sounding pickups. Great for certain things. The Quarter Pounders tend to a more growling - I almost want to say compressed - sound. Kind of like a real vintage style pickup, but driven a bit to hard (to my ear). I'd also probably recommend either the Dimarzio Model Js or the Dimarzio Ultra Jazz, if you are looking for that passive pickup growl. If you want the ultra clean modern thing, the EMG's are great.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I got a super deal on the EMGs so I went with those and put them in. They are super for recording. No need for a convertor box for direct recording. I did have the Dimarzio Ultra Jazz on it for a long time but they never recorded well direct. The Ultra Jazz did sound super live though. They are just too fat and heavy sounding for easy recording. The highs never came though good. Its tough enough recording a clear bass track as a small home rec'r and these did not help the matter.
The EMGs record very well however. Well defined and easy to EQ to make fit in the mix. Maybe at the time when I put in the Ultra Jazz the Model J would have been the bettter choice. But thats hind sight. Yeah, I do love that J Bass growl. It was not really there with the Ultra Jazz though. That growl does not seem to record well either. I think the growl is more of a live experience.

Back