Setups and Prices

mastahnke

Linux Man...
I was wondering how much any of you pay to have your guitars set up. If you do it yourself, please don't bother replying.
I am wanting the prices on setting up a Les Paul or Tele/strat -- no floating tremolo.

Setup includes

new strings
neck adjust
action adjust
polsihing finish
cleaning parts
input jack cleaning, and checking
nut filing if needed
intoantion set and adjusted
string gauge change would be okay also

the store I work at charges 15$ for all of this, but the stores in Indianapolis (near where I go to school) charge between 40$ and 60$. How much should this service be?
Are we way underpriced?

MIKE

$15.00 IS A MOST EXCELLENT PRICE! There are certain places here in NY that the charges range anywhere from $25.00 to $60.00.

Yeah, I live in NY and just paid $60 for a set up, It was an old Gretsch hollowbody with a Bigsby so I took it to someone with lots of experience with these kind of guitars. $15 bucks seems way low, even if you don't live in NYC, where everything is more expensive.

$70 is the going rate here, may be cheaper places, but it's sorta like going to the same doctor year after year.

The $15 may not include any fret dressing which can be important, and time consuming.

You are right about the fret dressing. We will clean them off if they get that green - i haven't been played in three months- look to them, but a true fret dressing is extra. That is an extra 18$ if I recall correctly. I could be wrong though.

What are the going rates for other stuff?
Ours:
Electric - 15$
Electric 12 String - 20$
Electric Floating Trem - 22$
Acoustic Steel - 18$
Acoustic Classical 20$
Acoustic 12 24$
Banjo/Mandolin 15$
and of course if you purchase the instrument with at our store, free setup to your specs...
I think those are right...

MIKE

I guess living in a small town has its advantages. If any of you ever get out to woodwind brasswind or sweatwater sound we are only about an hour from either of those places....

ADAM, I just moved to NYC area ( Port Jefferson ).You are so right about every thing being more expensive.My question is: were are the best places to go for vintage guitars and amps? Spending almost 3 hours a day on the Long Island Railroad hasn't left me with too much time to look for any cool guitar shops. Thanks

Back