Satriani or Via?

Molly

Hehe I bet this has been posted loads of times but I'm intrigued.

I think Via is superlative but my friends think Joe is better. Joe is sooooooooo commercial he has no soul!

Andy Summers rules!!! Deathwish rocks! (wish I knew how to play it :S)

Vai blows Satriani away. Far more diverse technic, absolute studio wizardy, flow, style inovatine. Satriani is fast and knows gangs of scales. Bah

Summers...... yep, hes got smoothness.

Morse.... he's a god

I thought Striani was kind of cool when I was younger. I guess you're right though, Now that I look back, he was knid of a scale player. Steve Via is REALLY tall.

better???? according to who? there's no right answer.

vai's wanky artsy approach bores me, joe's hooks are a bit boring after 20 years of it. okay. noone wins.

have no illusions, neither one is limited at anything they want to do on the guitar. it's what they choose to do.

yeah come on though 6gun Via's arty approach may repel you but you must admit he really is sincere in what he does. I don't think Satriana is just like SS454 (change your name it's too hard to type!) says Satriana is for kids. It's all flash he does. And as Even says Via actually thinks about the sound he's making.

So no points for you 6gun lol! You play slow Britney Spears songs on your mandolin!

Molly said:
yeah come on though 6gun Via's arty approach may repel you but you must admit he really is sincere in what he does. I don't think Satriana is just like SS454 (change your name it's too hard to type!) says Satriana is for kids. It's all flash he does. And as Even says Via actually thinks about the sound he's making.

So no points for you 6gun lol! You play slow Britney Spears songs on your mandolin!

oh, i'll play nice since i know your limitations. frankly i don't care about either one.

I liked Passion and Warfare for about a week. Something just seems real plastic about him. It's like he is exploiting some mathematical formula that makes him a genius guitar player by default. A formula that more often than not, completely lacks in groove. I see a huge difference between his playing and other speedsters, like Eddie Van Halen and Malmsteen. The latter two hit you where you live. Steve Vai just eggs the neighbor's house by accident and runs away.

I never even gave Satriani a chance. You always see them together in guitar mags, practically joined at the hip. If they feed off each other as influences, then no thanks. I'll wait for the next bus.

Just remember that when Steve showed up at Joe's for guitar lessons he didn't even know how to put his strings on.

Both of these guitarists are great..................................

..............................if you're looking to die from boredom. Vai once played with Zappa??? Might give him the edge.

-Jett

..............................if you're looking to die from boredom. ????????

Have you listened to SatianA or VIA??!!! ;) They are both amazing, beautiful textures, tones, note choice, scale choice, mode choice, EQ choice, percussion, bass, everything about BOTH these players is something to be digested and further emulated. And they do not play particularly similar to each other although SatrianA taugh VIA the basics and he took it from there. My personal favorites from these two and a MUST-LISTEN-TO are:
Vai:
For the love of God
Touching Tongues
Eugene's Trick Bag

Satch:
Summer Song
Speed of light
Surfing with the alien

Carlos

They're different beast. The point I like Via is different with the point I Satriana. But as jet-rocker said... these dudes don't move my ass. I'd rather Marty Fradiman. :eek: :D

Cyrokk said:
I liked Passion and Warfare for about a week. Something just seems real plastic about him.... I see a huge difference between his playing and other speedsters, like Eddie Van Halen and Malmsteen. The latter two hit you where you live. Steve Vai just eggs the neighbor's house by accident and runs away.

LOL!:D

I entirely agee.

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

I like Vai more. Satch is cool and I respecfully disagree with Aaron. :p

Some people just don't appreciate Vai because they don't understand his brand of music. There is no real better or best contest in reality beause the evolution of the players. I like some of Eddie but not to the same level. I used to listen to lots of Satch, but I also listen to racer-x, Yngwie, Micheal Lee Firkins, Static-X, Ozzy... Each artist moves me in a different way for different reasons. Vai appeals to the eccletic side of me, mixing shred with neoclassicism taking side trips into augmented jazz. Live in an Ultra World has some incredible work. Satches Surfin with the Alien is good, but the live time machine disc is awesome. Now Im sure there are some country listeners who appreciate Clint Strong more than Albert Lee or Segovia more than John Williams, but each with in their own genre and stylisitic variations are stunning to me.

Aaron, go judge some folk music;)

SoMm

Back