Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rock'n through the decades, night after night, doesn't that get old?

Thanks

Rock'n through the decades, night after night, doesn't that get old?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I have to admire all my old heros from my childhood still touring and stuff. But doesn't playing the same songs you wrote 25 years ago and play at least 200 times a year every since get sort of stale? Or is that just me???

I'm sure the first year or two is an incredible ride - but how many times can you play Back In Black and keep it convincing and not feel like you want to pull your hair out (what's left of it at least ).

This is not meant to slam them at all. It must just take a special person! It would drive me nuts personally.

Thanks
    If you were born to rock, it's just what you do.
    Putting everything you are and ever will be into rocking the hell out at a show never gets old. If it does, your doing it wrong.
    Music is the greatest high I've ever had and it's the only thing in this world that makes my life worth living.

Thanks
    not many artists who don't have to play the same songs night after night. it's what fans expect - and require. I saw Stevie Wonder recently and he still killed lots of his old stuff.

Please forgive me. I don't mean to be a prick, but I guess I am.
    Thanks
    I'm sure it beats five days a week at the factory.
    I'm going through a difficult period - it's called life

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloan View Post
    If you were born to rock, it's just what you do.
    Putting everything you are and ever will be into rocking the hell out at a show never gets old. If it does, your doing it wrong..
    Ah, ok. But then again you're saying this at ...23?

Music is the greatest high I've ever had and it's the only thing in this world that makes my life worth living
    With you there with the music. How about we re-check on the 'business, life style/road, repetition factors, say.. 2030'ish.

In many cases as they say 'we do music because we have to. But later I have friends who while still loving it have to keep up the grind' because of few options. There's that too.
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

Creating saw dust at rapidly increasing levels
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusioninspace View Post
    I have to admire all my old heros from my childhood still touring and stuff. But doesn't playing the same songs you wrote 25 years ago and play at least 200 times a year every since get sort of stale? Or is that just me???

I'm sure the first year or two is an incredible ride - but how many times can you play Back In Black and keep it convincing and not feel like you want to pull your hair out (what's left of it at least ).

This is not meant to slam them at all. It must just take a special person! It would drive me nuts personally.

It's about professionalism. AC/DC are amazing live (and I don't even like their music). They come out and the just nail it. For them, that's their job and it's what they do. They approach their live shows the same way as any other top professional approaches their job. They also have one of the best road crews in the business, but that's a whole other thing. But in the end, this is how they pay their bills, and if they want to keep paying their bills they are going to keep their fans happy. Besides, having 10,000 people scream every time to play a riff would really have to give you a bit of a lift.

That being said, I was once at a Joe Jackson concert (who I DO like), and when someone kept yelling out for him to play "I'm the Man," he had one of the all time great comebacks, "I'll tell you what - if you don't ask me to be who I was 25 years ago, I won't ask you to be who you were 25 years ago." Of course, he then went on to play (a much altered version of) "Steppin' Out," and also played "Look Sharp," "Got the Time," and "Is She Really Going out with Him." It's not like he was an idiot, he was just done with that one song. At least for the time being - I'm pretty sure he's been playing it for the last few years again.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
    M.K. Gandhi
    "It's not about who killed my son, it's about what's killing our children."
    [url=http://www.theforgivenessproject.com/stories/aqeela-sherrills-calvin-hodges]-Aqeela Sherrills[/url]

[url]http://www.theforgivenessproject.com/[/url]

Thanks
    I'm a long way from being one of the "big boys" but from a player's perspective, I still get the same thrill playing some songs that I learned 30 years ago as I did when I first learned them. The really good songs seem to never grow old to the audiences or the performers.
    The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know. [url]http://www.soundclick.com/sixfeetover[/url]

Thanks
    or you could be like lou reed and some other artists who never play the same song twice when live. He's constantly reworking his music live... that's probably why he didn't have major commercial success. You couldn't sell tickets to sheeple who wanted the same experience everyone else gets.

Thanks
    In the past few months, I've seen shows by Springsteen, The Cure, and Rush - all bands that played songs that were at least 30 years old. All three shows were awesome (in many different ways!). They are all amazing artists and professionals who offer a quality product. In return, they make a good living from their work.
    A band's setlist is never the same (usually!) and changes from night to night, and tour to tour, the crowd is never the same, the arenas and clubs change over the years.
    I once read that Neil Peart discovered three months into their first tour in the early 70s that he didn't really like touring!! However, he's a passionate artist, a professional, and a guy with bills to pay!

Cheers,
    -Rich

Thanks
    Jimmy Buffett once said on a live album, "As long as I 've got fans like Parrotheads, I'll never get tired of playing this song (Margaritaville)" You can imagine how rewarding it is to play that song 200x a year when he counts up the gate receipts.

I wish I had that same dilemma.

Cheers,

Thread Information