Roadready-ing a setup.

Jouni

Hellows!

I've gigged a couple of times as a bassist, and watched and laughed and been worried about them guitarists.:D
heads, cabs, wires, cables and effects all scattered to hell on stage, not to mention while hauling stuff from gig to another! ..not mention them guitars.
Always something missing.

Now, that I've assembled a guitar setup myself, I thought of wrapping the whole damn thing in a nice little package, easy to move, no disassembly or assembly required on stage whatsoever.

One big box, about 170cm x 70cm x 70cm. (sorry about the metrics)
In three layers:
-Top: the head, Sovtek.
-Middle: My 2x12 cab, tilted.
-Bottom: Effects, preamp, power-units etc. Possibly rollers.

What do you think??
Beneficial enough to try out??
Ofcourse, the front opens completely, maybe the top, so the head don't overheat, aluminum or steel rails at the back, so it slides..

Attachments

• Roadcase.JPG
    Roadcase.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 61
Hellows!

I've gigged a couple of times as a bassist, and watched and laughed and been worried about them guitarists.:D
heads, cabs, wires, cables and effects all scattered to hell on stage, not to mention while hauling stuff from gig to another! ..not mention them guitars.
Always something missing.

Now, that I've assembled a guitar setup myself, I thought of wrapping the whole damn thing in a nice little package, easy to move, no disassembly or assembly required on stage whatsoever.

One big box, about 170cm x 70cm x 70cm. (sorry about the metrics)
In three layers:
-Top: the head, Sovtek.
-Middle: My 2x12 cab, tilted.
-Bottom: Effects, preamp, power-units etc. Possibly rollers.

What do you think??
Beneficial enough to try out??
Ofcourse, the front opens completely, maybe the top, so the head don't overheat, aluminum or steel rails at the back, so it slides..

The disadvantage to putting everything in one box is that that box gets heavy and awkward to move around. I'd put the head, the cab, and the pedalboard in separate boxes.

True.
But putting them in separate cases leaves the issue of plugging everything together again. Being equivalent of just getting a few roadcases.:(

Measuring 160 x 70 x 70 cm (estimate), It'd be slightly bigger, but less weight than an Ampeg 8x10 cab.

"Just get a combo", is lurking somewhere, I can feel it.:D

True.
But putting them in separate cases leaves the issue of plugging everything together again. Being equivalent of just getting a few roadcases.:(

Measuring 160 x 70 x 70 cm (estimate), It'd be slightly bigger, but less weight than an Ampeg 8x10 cab.

"Just get a combo", is lurking somewhere, I can feel it.:D

Ampeg 8X10... My aching back. I've hauled my share of them and I don't relish the thought of doing it again. But I'd never say to get a combo if you've got the amp now that gives you the sound you are looking for.

With separate boxes it seems to me you could simplify the plugging to one cable from the head to the cab and one from the board to the head. You'd want to do that anyway, it seems to me, from the board to the head rather than coiling up a permanently connected cord to something you pull out and put in front of you. The stress on the connectors would likely cause a failure eventually.

But whatever; it's your back or that of your pissed off roadie. ;^)

Gigging involves hauling gear up and down stairs, in and out of tight places, etc. etc.

One big "road case" could be a really problem moving around (would you even be able to fit this in your vehicle)?

I'm a fan of modular design - I'd rather make an extra trip or two in and out with several smaller cases than risk injury trying to move one big case.

Keep in mind, the combo predates the modular stack. Gigging musicians (or at least roadies) demanded the amps be broken up into more manageable pieces, and the manufacturers responded. If your effects are in one case, the "plugging in" would amount to, at most, guitar->effects->amp->loop->effects->loop->cab, which is what I do. Takes a minute, at most.

Keep in mind, the combo predates the modular stack. Gigging musicians (or at least roadies) demanded the amps be broken up into more manageable pieces, and the manufacturers responded. If your effects are in one case, the "plugging in" would amount to, at most, guitar->effects->amp->loop->effects->loop->cab, which is what I do. Takes a minute, at most.

+1 on putting each in an individual road case. Loading shit into a van is like playing tetris.

I don't see why you're worried so much about saving time when plugging in. The drummer has to set up his shit, and the sound guy has to mic everything. that takes much longer than plugging your amp in. i usually have time to set up, sound check, and bring the band a round of beers.

it occurs to me now that the round of beers should be the bass player's job... :rolleyes:

Bwahahahaaaahaaa!!!!!

I went to rehealsalplace today.
I measured the cab+the sovtek head together with a drumstick.

2 and half sticks high!! 1 and a quarter wide!:eek:

It's a damn microstack!:D:D:D
(105cm x 54cm)

I'll put them in the same case, and the pedalpart separately. Will fit in the frontseat of any decent car. :D

(105cm x 54cm)

I'll put them in the same case, and the pedalpart separately. Will fit in the frontseat of any decent car. :D

BTW, I forgot to mention...

Sovteks are sexy. ;)

(105cm x 54cm)

I'll put them in the same case, and the pedalpart separately. Will fit in the front seat of any decent car. :D

You have a decent car and you call yourself a musician? ;^)

Back